Why become a member? ×

SOLD! Fender Domestic JV precision '57 ri (1982)
£1000

Brams77

Price drop £850!!!

Up for sale a domestic JV (non export so only intended for the Japanese market) as there is no sign of the name "Squier" on the headstock, altho very similar like the first squier series, as they came out of the same factory...
Ofcourse the only true Fender reissue models being made in '82 where the US fullerton RI basses...
Couple of things stand out like the most early JV's " Squiers ".
The machines have a different gear ratio and string posts that are very true to the original machines, as on later ones have different tighter ratio and a hole in the stock, very cool and rare feature... Cts pots and american pickups with extended "a" pole pieces.

On top of that there is no trussrod bevel in the body to get easy access to the truss like most JV Squiers I know have (this is under the pickguard) the anodised pickguard is not a replacement but an original fitted guard as the 1 ply white guards we know from Squier have an extra screw hole near the volume and tone knobs, this one doesn't have that, so its different in those aspects too...

All the contours are really spot on like on the original '57 pre CBS basses a lovely carved neck whith minimal fret wear that plays wonderful... And very thin finish on the bass, I'm not sure if it is nitro, but it sure wears away like nitro...

Also and I got this info from the 21stfrets website (which has alot of info on JV instruments) there is a red A staped in the neckpocket which would indicate top of the line model with American parts and possibly nitro finish aswell.. So maybe it is nitro afterall?!

This is a very rare bird as I havent seen any other one like this before.. Maybe logical co's they shouldn't wind up here anyhow I bought it fom someone who aquired it on a businesstrip in Japan.

Edit: do checkout the this knowledgeable website: http://www.21frets.com/squier_jv/jv_quick_guide.htm

No things are done to the bass, and shipped in a nice reissue Fender tweed case if you like...

Edited by Brams77

Never seen a JV like this with a factory gold guard and without a small Squier logo, I thought they were all like this: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/193935-fs-fender-logoed-jv-precision-bass-57ri-1982-l1099-woooop/

By the way, not trying to imply yours is not legit as I'm no expert, but someone who is will be bound to chime in sooner or later!

Edited by dannybuoy

Yeah I know... ;) I never had seen one myself, but it is legid, as it only was sold in Japan. It shares all the things you see on the early series of Jv's that were imported tho... Exept the guard and no sen wood was used but alder like the real thing... But maybe the earlier ones also used sen I don't know... I've asked Rick on this bass aswell as he knows his stuff on these...
Besides that there were no other japanese made reissue models of fender available in 1982 just the fullerton reissues made in the US. Ive searched on the subject too not much is known about these... And I need to tell you I didn't aquired it in Europe I had to get it overseas myself from a guy who bought it on a business trip in Japan years ago...

The Fender Precision bass logo is exactly the same as the Squiers here only it hasn't the Squier name further down on the headstock, the tuners are the same, the stamp in the pocket is the same, penciled date, the US pickups, the cts pots...
I'm really quite sure this came out of the same factory as the export Squiers did, JV serial has also the same numbering... I'm fine if any expert wants to question it i'll have my camera ready;)

Edited by Brams77

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1394558161' post='2392686']
Never seen a JV like this with a factory gold guard and without a small Squier logo, I thought they were all like this: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/193935-fs-fender-logoed-jv-precision-bass-57ri-1982-l1099-woooop/"]http://basschat.co.u...2-l1099-woooop/[/url]

By the way, not trying to imply yours is not legit as I'm no expert, but someone who is will be bound to chime in sooner or later!
[/quote]

This should help Gents:

http://www.21frets.com/squier_jv/jv_quick_guide.htm

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1394572242' post='2392965']

This should help Gents:

http://www.21frets.com/squier_jv/jv_quick_guide.htm
[/quote]

That makes sence! Thank you! I am no experts on these either, but I can tell anyone owning also a pre CBS P bass that the body contours and neck profile of this early Ri is really different then the later stuff, those japanese guys did copy every little detail in a very serious manner...

Edited by Brams77

Hmm cool read there the red A stampend in the neck would indicate the top of the line model with presumably nitro finish and usage of US parts... I was wondering that.. just couldn't believe it was actually true, I'm still not 100% sure altho the finish is quite thin as anyone could see on the back (pictured)...

Why am I selling this...

Edited by Brams77

That's nitro.

It definitely isn't poly!

I've picked up a JV Precision recently (JV4****- may '83) and after a minor (ahem) truss issue which is thankfully now fixed I can sit here and say I get what all the fuss is about. The thing plays and feels [i]fantastic.[/i]

The pickups, which I always read were Japanese on ALL JV precisions sound amazing- thick and creamy with some fuzzy bite to them. They are certainly nothing like the weak Jap pickups that came on my old '86 E-Series, and give out more output than my mex Road Worn. They have the raised-A pole pieces and vintage cloth wiring.

I'm a JV convert and can vouch for the feeling of quality from these basses. Plus, this one doesn't have the Squier badge snobbery to overcome!

GLWTS, I'd love to try this bass, if it was near me!