Why become a member? ×

Replacing feet on a Genz Benz Shuttle 9.2? - with PICTURES

mcnach

I have recently bought one of these heads, and I love it but the feet just have no grip at all. They're hard plastic, and the head slides all too easily on any surface I placed it onto, especially as it's so light.

I thought of changing the feet to something made of rubber (like my previous RH450, or my LMIII...), but the feet on the GB don't look like the usual ones that are simply screwed on. These ones don't have a screw visible at all. Are they just pressed on? In which case, replacing them would be pretty complicated... :(

Does anybody know?

[b]edit: pictures with the answer a few posts below[/b]

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='andyonbass' timestamp='1394285189' post='2389875']
[url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/multi-purpose-non-slip-mat-n21cx"]This[/url] will solve your problem. Probably get something similar down your local [size=5]£[/size] shop.....
[/quote]

Thanks for that. Someone had already pointed me in the direction of similar mats, and I'm going to buy one later today or tomorrow, in fact. I was just hoping for a more "solid" solution, one where I don't depend on an extra bit that I will invariable leave behind and lose some day :)

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1394441421' post='2391245']
How about getting a mat, cutting four feet-sized circles in it, then glueing the circles to the feet?
[/quote]

that's an idea, although they already sell stick-on rubber feet :)

It turns out the feet on the 9.2 are of the type where the central stud can be pulled, and then the feet come off easily. So I have ordered a set of rubber feet of the same type that I hope they fit (was not sure of the dimensions, but they were cheap anyway). As a plan B, I ordered two different sets of stick on rubber feet (again at about £2 or less for the set, why not). So I expect I'll have a working solution within a few days.

I will report back.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1394444466' post='2391276']
Fair enough. I thought the issue was that you were unable to remove the feet
[/quote]

Oh, yes, that was one issue, but I figured it out this weekend. Sorry I wasn't clear :)

I thought I'd take a few pictures to document this, in case someone else finds it useful (as I would have).

1) First I used a fine screw-driver tool to gently prise up the central stud:

2) The stud comes out easily, leaving the plastic foot in place

4) To remove the foot, I tried first to slide the screwdriver blade underneath it, which works:

5) but I found that all you needed was to push the foot with the blade. There is no need to slide it underneath as shown above (4). Both methods work, but if you simply push the plastic foot it will lift easily and you will not risk scratching the finish. So I prefer to do it like this:

6) And that's one foot out!

7) Repeat for the remaining 3 feet, and that's all removed in under 2 minutes.

Edited by mcnach

I've got the feet today.

set 1 of stick on ones... too plasticky, little grip.

set 2 of stick on ones... nice grip. A bit too shallow, but it might work.

however...

set 3 of rubber feet with central stud, similar to the original system looks like a winner: good grip and I think they'll fit!

Will test tonight.

[quote name='andyonbass' timestamp='1394830104' post='2395821']
Where did you get the replacement feet from?
[/quote]

eBay, item 190974724099
4x Black Rubber Easy Fit Circular Feet with a Push Rivet Flexible for Cases RF11

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190974724099"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190974724099[/url]

Edited by mcnach