Why become a member? ×

Lightweight, loud cab for Genz Benz ShuttleMaz 12.2

Ramsay777

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#222222]Hi folks, I'm upgrading my rig and recently bought said amp which I am delighted with, lightweight and sound fantastic. So I'm looking to get a nice cab for it, I'm currently using a Warwick WCA 410 pro, it's "okay" but I'm sick of lugging it about; it weighs 31kg and is a bit of a cumbersome size, especially when carrying it through doorways.[/color][/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#222222]So I've been doing a fair bit of reading on where to go from here, but I'm completely spoiled for choice for a nice smaller, powerful, lightweight bass cab. Kind of had my heart set on a 2x10" for no particular reason other than I could eventually get two and have a modular 4x10 for bigger gigs (I'll likely never need a second I imagine).[/color][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#222222]Been looking at Bergantino, TKS, Schroeder, Purple Chili to name but a few, I know it's not what it's about but I love how the Purple Chili cabs look! I also emailed Barefaced about their line and they recommended their Big Baby 2, though I'm a bit skeptical about a 1x12 to be quite honest, despite all the bumf on their site.[/color][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#222222]I'm currently playing in a loud pop/ rock/ classic rock cover band with three (I know...) guitarists, using an American Jazz bass and a Spector Euro 5LX, I have a Musicman Sterling on order too. I'm usually DI'd live. I've also been inspired a great deal by Nathan Navarro and wanna experiment with lots of effects, dubstep type stuff and massive ambient soundscapes (though this may never leave the house) so I'm looking for something that can do it all really, and be lightweight/ smaller than a 4x10![/color][/font][/size]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=1][color=#000000][size=4]Any advice or guidance with your experiences would be greatly appreciated [/size] :)[/color][/size][/font]

Edited by Ramsay777

There`s a Schroeder 1212L on here at the moment. Fair bit lighter, and Schros are incredible. On their own they don`t sound that wonderful, but in the mix - well that`s when you realise how good they are.

There are also a couple of Barefaced Compacts as well - good cabs, but if you want sizzling top-end or aggressive grind, this isn`t really their territory (they state this on their site so I`m not having a pop at them, I`ve had a BF Compact+Midget stack and it was great, just think that a Schro as a single cab option works slightly better).

I'm not sure of your budget but the Barefaced Super Twin (2X12 and 18kg) would be a fine choice: [url="http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/Super-Twin.htm"]http://barefacedbass.../Super-Twin.htm[/url]

Alternatively, a second hand BF Super Twelve would also be great and cheaper at around £550 - £650.

Either will easily handle your 600W at 4ohm output and, when you get the chance, add another for a 1200W 4X12 super rig...!

I had a BF Vintage (2X15) and a BF Midget (1x12) - they are fabulous cabs.

Try contacting [url="http://basschat.co.uk/user/19466-mark-ii/"][color="#282828"]Mark_ii[/color][/url] here on BC - he has a Shuttlemax 12.2, BF Super Twelve and BF Compact rig.

Edited by StraightSix

Genz head and berg 12's. It's the holy grail (IMO) of rock tone.

I'd look at trying the CN112s and get four of them for the ultimate in "up to 1200W modular 4x12 rigs".

My Shuttlemax and a berg 112 is a clear, well voiced, rig for home practice and quiet song writing sessions. The 2x12 option is great for rehearsals. The 4x12 is useful for destroying enemy cities!

Thanks for the replies, the Berg CN series looks to fit the bill very nicely... Looks like im gonna have to be easy on the wallet for the next couple of months so i can order one! Got my eye on the 212, I think it'd be a wiser choice than 2 single 12's with price being a factor. It's still a good bit lighter and smaller than my Warwick cab.

Has anyone any experience with the Purple Chili cabs? I just think the look damn sexy!

Edited by Ramsay777