Why become a member? ×

Acoustic Simulator on Bass

danny-79

Just having an ask to see if anybody has any experience with using an acoustic simulator on bass ? just recently brought a used Boss AC-2 to try out, not had chance to use it at a practice yet so only played with it at low volume but the overall result is its adding massive amounts of extra bass, adjusting it the other way to much just ads unwanted hiss.
It seems to work better with my Jazz, roll off the bass and add lots of top and mid boost, haven't made too many major adjustments to amp setting from how I usualy have it
Whats your experience ?

I've used the same effect built into a Boss Multi-FX, but only on electric guitar, which is what it was designed for. On guitar it worked best on a neck single coil pickup. I'm guessing part of what it does is to scoop the mids. This might make an electric guitar sound like an acoustic (roughly) but no way is it going to make an electric bass sound like an upright!

Not used a pedal but the acoustic setting on my Variax is pretty good, captures that hollow sort of rattly sound without being unpleasant, it's meant to sound like a Tacoma Thunderchief but who knows.
The Doublebass setting sounds kind of DB-esque but not being fretless cannot emulate the nuances of a real DB, sounds alright in a band situation though, if we rattle through Lovecats it's passable.
In short I would use the Variax instead of an acoustic guitar at a jam night if that sound was needed but wouldn't attempt to use it for a DB gig.

Never got it with the idea/thought/intention that I might ever remotely resemble a DB sound, just as a live quick fix, we do a couple of acoustic numbers (That's entertainment, Crazy little thing called love)so just wanted to add a bit of "rattle" that's a good word for it hollow-rattle to the sound when the guitar(s) drop the drive.
But yeah that's pretty much what I think it does, boosts the bass and highs, perhaps a bit too much for my needs, the bass is far to thupmy and creates a lot of hiss, but the hiss is the part of it that creates the hollow rattle sound. Will try it out at a few rehearsals at volume and see how it goes, but starting to get the feeling that to get a realistic sound out of it might take more time and effort fiddling with EQ than its worth for the amount of use it will get