Why become a member? ×

Feedback Threads

s_u_y_*

Hey... I was wondering if it would be a better system to leave feedback by leaving comments on the user profile. That way everybody has a "feedback thread". Also, you wouldn't have to go searching for the person's thread. Just one lick on their user profile.

Just a suggestion... what are your thoughts?

[quote name='s_u_y_*' post='1622' date='May 18 2007, 05:15 PM']Hey... I was wondering if it would be a better system to leave feedback by leaving comments on the user profile. That way everybody has a "feedback thread". Also, you wouldn't have to go searching for the person's thread. Just one lick on their user profile.

Just a suggestion... what are your thoughts?[/quote]

I'm not one of the genii who can work this stuff, but if it was in the user profile it would be editable by the user whose profile it was, or not .
I don't know. :)

It's an idea though :huh:

Steady on lads!

:)

We had a look at a "karma" system which R,5,R,5 suggested on Bassworld and it turned to be very complicated to implement and potentially subject to mis-use. I haven't seen any module as such which is available for invision boards that could be used as a feedback system in the same way as Ebay. So the solution we've got is very much a band aid type thing. However I'll ask Phatmonkey if there's a better and easier to implement alternative.

Why not just create a module for IPB using a 5-star rating php script. Most of these are openly available using some sort of AJAX system. Shouldn't be too hard to use the IPB API and create a script which works by altering an two extra columns in the users table that has an assigned number to it.

e.g., "rating" and "rating_count" hold the total rating and number of ratings given, respectively. Then you'd just let "rating" add up and divide by "rating_count" to give the actual rank out of 5. A simple average is made :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'm a big fan of the ebay/TB rating system. Actually the one on TB works very very well, I don't think I'd change a single thing. Key points: you can give positive, neutral or negative feedback. You can give the link for the thread in which the purchase took place. The user's feedback is visible next to his username, but only in the Classifieds category (only place where it's useful). That number is the link to read the actual comments.
This way, when you see an ad, you can at the same time see if the seller is a trustworthy guy and read other users' comments with one click. Now, you have to go to search, etc etc, and most people won't bother to do all that when they're interested in a purchase. Sure, it's their problem, but the goal is to make BC the safest/easier to use bass forum, and the classifieds are a major part of it, so IMO it's very important. If phatmonkey can't do it, it would be cool if someone could get paid to do it, like the theme.