Why become a member? ×

OLP

waynepunkdude

[quote name='Dr.Dave' post='235609' date='Jul 9 2008, 11:50 AM']Funnily enough that's why I don't care for the Sub.

Like having a Porsche Boxster , everyone knows you can't afford a 911. But get an MX5 , half the cost of a Boxster but cool in it's own right.

I like the OLP rays and to my mind there's more milage in buying one for not much coin and saving for a Ray if you think it's your holy grail.[/quote]
I think the SUB bass is more like a porsche 911 that's had paint stripper poured all over it, still goes like the clappers, but not quite as handsome. That's my analogy anyway.

EDIT: Though i would say that, i own one :)

Edited by budget bassist

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='lwtait' post='235215' date='Jul 8 2008, 07:38 PM']if you want a stingray sound for cheaper i'd say best thing to go for is an ibanez ATK (my dad owns one of these, too), they don't look the same but they sound very much like a stingray. the neck's closer to a precision than a stingray, and they're heavy. but i think the ATK is easily on par with the musicman. at least try one out before you buy.[/quote]

I tried an ATK today nd I hate to say it but I'm not exaggeration when say it was the best bass I have ever played.

Looks likea P-bass sounds like a Stingray feels like a Ibanez, near to perfection.

Yeah i was oggling over that one the other day, there's another nice one in one of the shops too [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OLP-BASS-BASED-ON-STINGRAY-4-STRING-LICENCED-COPY_W0QQitemZ150267317046QQihZ005QQcategoryZ4713QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247"]here.[/url]

Damn, a nice OLP MM3 [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OLP-Stingray-Music-Man-Endorsed-5-String-Brand-New_W0QQitemZ320276148889QQihZ011QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]here[/url] too, i'm liking all the flame top OLPs >_<

I have an OLP Tony Levin that have to muck around on at home. Nice bass, plays well, fit and finish a bit iffy in places, but it's a great bass with a great tone, although I have upgraded the pup and pots, so the tone bit doesn't count.

Don't compare an OLP to a Stingray though, I've had both, and they're completely different in almost every way, apart from the shape.

If there's an ATK to be had, and Barry44 is selling his, I'd buy that myself.