Why become a member? ×

Sean's Ric 4001

Billy Apple

• 2 weeks later...

All bolts from Rosetti have been cancelled and returned. I got four UNC12's from ebay for £3, although they are too long and need cutting. I've also bought a Hipshot which came today and have ordered a Pickguardian treble surround. I'm a mad palm-muter and was having issues with the bridge, plus my pick was banging on the bumper.

There are pro's and cons with this bass, but I'm sorting the niggles because for me the neck is what I have been waiting for. I love the flatness and parallelness of it. Plus it sounds ace. I'm wondering how much the Hipshpt will alter tone tho, and I'm considering the .0047 cap bypass.

Usually once a ric bridge is set up there is never an issue, i have found anyway, i keep my rics all original, once you start changing parts to me it ain't a ric anymore , that is just me, it is a bass once set up is as solid as anything.

That's just me, George, I could spend some time with the bridge, but I'm itching to get it out and played. Plus I don't really see a way forward with my palm muting with the Ric mute in front of the bridge. I plays how I plays and I like what I likes.

Listen, in the olden days I would persevere with the grub screw on a BBOT digging in my hands, but not anymore. I like to make things my own.

Edited by Billy Apple

• 3 weeks later...

Just plugged this one back in since a few changes. Massive difference with the Hipshot. Palm muting is no problem and the tone seems much rounder. Maple shims have been made to fill the routes under the bridge to help with contact, which I think helps. The Hipshot is a work of art.. Very well engineered.

I've had the cap by-pass mod done on the treble pup (same as you can take the cap in and out on the push-pull on the 4003). This turns the treble pup into a right beast and is instantly pleasing, it proper growls! Although the balance between the two pups is out as the neck is just not there in comparison. If I could raise the neck pup up a bit, but it's at its maximum height. There is plenty of room under the strings so I'm going to have a look under the guard and see if any spacers could come out to give a bit more height.

The pick-guardian surround is now on, so no more bashing my pick on the bumper. It does not have the same mojo as the original surround, but all in all, it's not half bad. Also I've now got 4 proper gear bolts on the back of the tuners.

The set up is a bit low (after I asked Julian Mullan to lower it still :blush: ) and buzzing, so I think I need a quarter turn up on each saddle. The grub screws have been thread-locked to prevent saddle slamming, as have the tuner bolts to stop them dropping out.

All round.. Excellent work!

BTW, for any Ric purists who may see this as blasphemy, there is nothing that I have done which cannot be undone to put it back to standard without leaving a trace.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1393191993' post='2377259']Thinking about some nice chrome flats.[/quote]
Then you will have silks to match the Azure-Glo! You can get chromes in light gauge, 45 - 95, ECB80, to lighten the load. Nice bass. Congrats.

Edited by iiipopes

After a bit of playing I've removed the cap mod. While it gave much more gain and bass to the treble pup, it did not improve tone which became somewhat muddy. It seemed to suck all the life from the neck pup, so I was playing just on the bridge pup. It lost the Ric sound and was like a duff P bass.

Any-hoo, I gave it a try, but I'm glad to have the true Ric sound back.