Why become a member? ×

Short notice cancellations?

subrob

[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-26276502"]http://www.bbc.co.uk...hester-26276502[/url]

So rehearsal tonight was pulled at very short notice, because we rehearse in a building close by. Apparently the bulldozers move on it tomorrow and there remain open questions about a) where we go to practice for the foreseeable and b ) if we're likely to be allowed in for our gear before Tuesday's show!

Anyone else come a cropper like this, or just us...? :/

Edited by subrob

Glastonbury festival a few years ago , we played a storming set on the Bandstand then raced through crowds and mud across the site to the Avalon Cafe for our next gig. We arrived in time , the venue is heaving,got on stage , set up, sound checked each instrument, played a few bars to get a rough balance (it tends to be a minimal sound check on the smaller stages) ,the compare came on to announce us , then............a guy in a high vis vest comes up to the stage waving his arms frantically. Because of the rain the tent pags had started to pull out and the tent (circus tent) was in danger of collapsing. "We have to evacuate the tent now!, everybody out!!!!"
Because of the tight scheduling our slot had to finish on time, we did get back on in time to play four songs as the tent started to fill up again, but what a let down!
Hope you can get your gear back in time.

[quote name='subrob' timestamp='1392940229' post='2374613']
So rehearsal tonight was pulled at very short notice, because we rehearse in a building close by. Apparently the bulldozers move on it tomorrow and there remain open questions about a) where we go to practice for the foreseeable and b ) if we're likely to be allowed in for our gear before Tuesday's show!
[/quote]

I'm sure you don't mean this, but my reading of your post is that your gear is inside the building that's going to be bulldozed tomorrow?????

3 years ago we were booked into a regular gig - place we did 4 times a year - in December. Tiny bar in Wakefield but we loved playing it and the punters loved having us. It was always a midweek which is hard on our drummer because of his work and the distance but he did it without complaint. The pay was sh*t. £100. But the bar so small we recognised that they couldn't afford more. After expenses and paying our roadie a bit of a drink I might come home with a 20 spot. During that December I wanted to go to Egypt. I found the ideal flight at less than £200 but couldn't take it because of the gig. I booked at different flight a few days later at £348. I was happy to be £128 out of pocket because I like to be professional and that includes loyalty to my band mates , my punters and my temporary employers. 4 days before the gig the management cancelled it. Just like that. Saying they were getting xmas trade in and didn't need us. It completely changed my attitude after 30 years playing. I never had much respect for landlords from a musical point of view but now I'm openly hostile to the bastards and unless everything's on my terms I pack my gear and walk straight out of the door. ( we've done it 3 times) . And if they can't afford to hire us at a decent rate... tough. Get some other sucker. Fcuk the lot of 'em.

[quote name='darren' timestamp='1392974343' post='2374732']
Inconvenient and much worse for the people who were evacuated from their homes. The top two floors of the mill need to be taken down apparently and it could be 3 days before residents can return - according to the local news. Could be tight for getting your gear.
[/quote]

Aye, so I hear... :/ Without meaning to sound too I'm-alright-jack about it I've only got an 8x10 up there as the rest of my gear is a bass bag, laptop type bag, and a pedal board case, that all travels light and leaves with me. Hoping its all fixed soon as my thin stringed brethren have many more thousands worth of gear left there and we're resigned to borrowing extensively for this next gig. The practice studios are in a seperate building in the grounds of the mill and checking again tonight the roads are still closed half a mile in either direction, so I guess that main mill building must be in quite a bad way. If you look at the build of those old mills you'd have thought they'd have withstood a hurricane.

You have to feel for the dozen or so displaced families, and also the dozen or more small businesses that could get badly whacked if they wind up losing premises/ tools of their trade/ stock and be faced with set up costs and loss of trade elsewhere. We're friendly with the owner of a motorbike bits and paraphenalia store that's only a recent set up, I shudder to think how they might be getting on at the moment.