Why become a member? ×

Bass Techs In North Somerset?

wishface

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/26654-recommended-luthiers/

There's some in this thread in Bristol. Obviously there will be others but I can't really help with that.

Just don't go to Emarty (now Weston music shop). I had my bass set up there, it took them a month and I swear all they did was change the strings. I was younger then, should have complained but I didn't.

Anyway, hope this helped :)

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1392970668' post='2374695']
This guy is great and has a base in Bristol near the bus station. [url="http://www.edgeguitarservices.co.uk"]http://www.edgeguitarservices.co.uk[/url]

I have no hesitation is recommending him in terms of price and quality of work
[/quote]He's very very very busy. Ideally I'd like something nearer because I don't like travelling around with guitars on buses (particularly as i don't have acase).

I'm afraid Wiltshire is too far.

[quote name='wishface' timestamp='1392990919' post='2375017']
What about the other shop in Bristol near the bus station: rikaxxe (iirc)?
[/quote]

You'll have to listen to him lecture you about how he's one of few people in the world who truly knows how to set up a guitar properly. Never had a guitar set up by him though, I could never get past his bullshit.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1392992723' post='2375047']
You'll have to listen to him lecture you about how he's one of few people in the world who truly knows how to set up a guitar properly. Never had a guitar set up by him though, I could never get past his bullshit.
[/quote]i know what you mean, but he seems a good guy. Maybe he's just trying to warn people from tinkering with stuff iof they don't understand it. I brought a bass from him on monday.

Wait a sec.. Is the new bass you want set up, the same one you bought from him?

If so, why was it not set up when you bought it? and if you don't like the set up on the bass, would you really want to take it back to him?

If this is a different bass then ignore me :)

Not to defend the guy (i don't know him) but his vibe is very much "it's how you like it to be/play/feel". YMMV.

What needs tweaking is the intonation, and a little fret buzz. Other than that the 9th fret D string doesn't sustain as long as it should. It's being caught on something lightly (no buzz).

Aside from those things, it plays very nicely IMO.

It sounds like he's telling you to take the guitar away, get used to it for a while, then take it back to tweak it to how you'd like it. That seems like sound advice actually.

And yeah, he's not a bad guy, I just like to be told things straight :) I get turned off by any sort of sales patter at all. And grandiose comments like the one he said to me just make me lose faith in anything he says. Which is a shame as he's probably quite decent but I'll never know :)

Eltham at Edge Guitar Studios that Pinball listed does come highly recommended.

When I first went in the shop he was dealing with another guy who wanted to ask about putting a deposit on a particular guitar and was told don't just buy something because you like the look, bring your guitar in and maybe we can bring that up to scratch. He doesn't strike me as the dellboy type. I tried a few basses and the one I brought, which I gather isn't the most spectacular make ever (i'm sure someone would tell me how crap the make/model 'really' is), but of the few basses i've ever played it's by far the best neck i've seen. It's smooth and has a decent sound. It cost me £165. Now he has a weird mix of stock, some of it grotty looking and I gather second hand. I've no idea what he paid for it. I've no idea whether it's true that cheap guitars can also be decent, and maybe i just don't know anything about it, but he seemed ok to me. I could well be wrong.

He's right, cheap guitars can indeed be more than decent! You're changing my opinion of him now. If he's recommending sorting out someone's existing guitar over buying a new one then that's sound advice and thoroughly decent of him too.

What type of bass is your new bass by the way?

It's made by a company called Revelation. I have never heard of them. Model number is RBJ67 (presumably that's the model number). It's a jazz style bass; 2 single coil pickups, don't know what make they are, sounds decent to my ears. Varnished neck, very smooth, no resistance playing. Thick body. Neck is about 20 frets. Don't know what strings they are but they are new and sound nice as well. D'addarios I think.

He seems like a decent guy to me. Whether he's any good at setting up instruments I don't know. Where he gets his stock and what quality, in general, they are, again I don't know. I can only hope, for the sake of £165, he is! :D

Edited by wishface

I hope you don't think I was saying he wasn't a good person or anything.

I just think it's strange that the bass isn't set up (intonation right, string height is a preference) in the shop tbh..

But what you said about him makes him sound like a good chap :)

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1393005713' post='2375233']
Wait a sec.. Is the new bass you want set up, the same one you bought from him?

If so, why was it not set up when you bought it? and if you don't like the set up on the bass, would you really want to take it back to him?

If this is a different bass then ignore me :)
[/quote]

That is the guys standard way of working. He always says "See how you get on with it, let it settle down and bring it back in a couple of months and check its set up". He said that when I got my 12 string electric and I took it back and he fixed a crackly pot and did a set up. I've watched him with new and inexperienced players and he always gives them what he thinks is the best advice rather than just flogging them a guitar. He did me a very good trade in deal on mine. Nothing but praise from me.