Why become a member? ×

Hofner bass bridge issue

squibs

I bought a brand new Hofner verythin bass a few weeks ago. Overall i love it (maybe i should do a proper review) but i'm not inpressed with the bridge.
Its only adjustable up and down, and in fact its currently all the way down but the action is still too high its annoying but I can cope with that i guess.
The real problem is that its not adjustable in terms of the intonation. The sadles are fixed so the only way of adjusting it is to move the whole bridge backwards or forwards.

Does anyone know of a floating bass bridge that is adjustable?
James
Manchester

[quote name='squibs' timestamp='1392853362' post='2373653']...The sadles are fixed so the only way of adjusting it is to move the whole bridge backwards or forwards...[/quote]

Good evening, James...

I think I'm right in saying that the intonation can be adjusted, albeit in a rather unusual manner. Does the bridge look like this..?

[attachment=155703:Hofn_Bass_Brid.jpg]

...If so, you'll find that those metal 'slivers' are moveable, and can be taken out and put into another slot (they are, in fact, fret wire...). I would suggest putting all 4 slivers in the second slot from the neck, then adjusting the bridge for closest intonation by moving back or forward and using an angle, low 'E' further back. Once the best compromise has been reached with that, you can finely adjust by moving forward or back a sliver. Harder to describe than to do..!
As for the bridge height: if there's really no adjustment left, it's OK to separate the bridge halves and sand down either the bottom of the upper half, or the feet of the lower half (respecting the curve of the belly, of course...).
These are fine basses, but don't have modern features such as leds in the neck or 14-band pre-amps. It's part of the 'mojo' of these instruments; very many classic records were recorded with them, so they must have something going for them...
Hope this helps; subject to correction, completion and/or contradiction from others...

Edited by Dad3353

Cheers for the reply, its pretty much as i expected. I had assumed that sanding the bridge was the only way to adjust the action, i guess the upper half will be the most forgiving.
I didn't realise that the saddles/wires could be lifted and changed, but i'm afriad that would be too much of a shift in either direction. What i have noticed now is that my E string is touching the edge of the upper half, dampening it slightly, so I'll have to take that edge down.
Overall i hear what you're saying. Even though its a Chinese re-issue, it still feels, looks and sounds great. So i'll not get too wound up about a little intonation.
Cheers