Why become a member? ×

darkening rosewood

clashcityrocker

Been doing some research into 'dyeing' or staining rosewood boards, I dislike really cheap looking light boards.most info seems to be based in the us,just wondered if anyone here had tried it? Have applied lemon oil but doesn't make it proper dark,not looking for ebony black just that nice dark brown found on old fenders.
This seems to get good reviews...
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=350989991544
Thanks!

Hi, I've got a Westone bass that had a stained rosewood fingerboard from new. It originally looked almost black (to match the rest of the body) but over many years of being played and then cleaned it has got lighter - other owners haven't liked this and have wanted to maintain the dark appearance and I've heard that you can indeed use leather dye to make rosewood darker hued. I actually like the way it's lightened a little so I'm leaving mine as is but I think the colour you'd want would be very dark purple.

The dot markers will be something like plastic or abalone shell - the dot markers on my Westone are (I think) plastic and I'd expect the rosewood to have been dyed after the markers had been applied and they certainly didn't take any of the dye. You might just have to try dabbing a little on to a dot marker (say with a cotton bud dipped in dye) and see what happens...