Why become a member? ×

quietest 18v power supply

dub

Not the Dunlop one! Mine whines a bit when it's on, but most of the noise comes from the actual PSU itself rather than out of the speakers!

Diago 18v adaptor tips can convert 9v to 18v but I've had troubled history with them, first one lasted well over a year before it decided to become a 6v adaptor, I got a free replacement which died within a few days, the one after that played up also after a month or so. I ended up receiving one of the old models with a second SFT that I picked up here and that one is still going strong, so it looks like the older hand made jobs are faring better than the newer Chinese manufactured ones (although of course I could have just been unlucky!).

This one should be good although does not have a right angle tip: http://www.effectpowersupplies.com/18v-dc-regulated-power-supply-7-p.asp

There's an EHX one too, but don't get that as the polarity is wrong for the SFT: http://www.effectpowersupplies.com/18v-dc-regulated-power-supply-7-p.asp

Edited by dannybuoy

Ta for that. I've ordered one of the effect power supply models. Here's hoping it's quiet enough!

I am well impressed with the catalinbread SFT so far. I used it with the drive as low as it would go for a bit of amp simulation when recording today and it really sits in the mix well. Much better than any digital simulation. Thats what I wanted.

I don't know about specific models but the basic choices are switched-mode types, which can be prone to high-frequency noise, or transformer types, which are generally bigger and heavier that an equivalent switched mode type and can be prone to lower frequency (mains frequency) noise depending on the design. The cheaper ones (both types) tend to skimp on smoothing capacitors, which can result in noise problems. FWIW, I'd be looking for a mid-priced transformer type PSU. Best to buy online really, so that there's no problem with sending them back if you don't like them - unless you can take your pedals into a shop and try everything out.