Why become a member? ×

Stinky bass and gigbag

Huge Hands

This week, I have just purchased, for cheap, a second hand Squier Standard Precision V. My intention is to eventually mod it up and put new pickups/hardware on etc. I was also thinking of painting it, but the metallic green finish and white pickguard are really growing on me.

However it stinks! The guy I bought it from, although seemingly very nice, appeared to not be a regular washer, and I think he also smokes as well. "When I was a lad" we called his type "Crusties", but I assume that is not a politically correct term, and I apologise if I have upset anyone with that comment. I was just trying to put a picture in your heads.

I am left with a bass, gigbag and strap that all stink of nicotine and unwashed dreadlocks.

I can throw the strap away, but I'd like to keep the gigbag as it's not a bad one (for free). I have been spraying it with Febreeze, but now I am left with a gigbag that stinks of nicotine, unwashed dreadlocks and stale air freshener.

As it is in the "little room", I don't think Mrs HH has noticed the smell yet, so I haven't been ordered to get rid of it.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to get rid of the smell? It's really getting up my nose an p***ing me off!!!!

Edited by Huge Hands

I've had a hardcase with the same problem stuck up in the attic for several weeks now and it's just about sorted! Tried the Febreeze thing and it just didn't do it for me. Probably because it didn't use the whole bottle!!

I have a large holdall for carrying cables and the like to gigs. It got wee'd on by one of our cats. It was really smelly, and I put it in the washing machine and left it out on the line to air and dry. It worked! So, you might try that with the gig bag.

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='233249' date='Jul 5 2008, 05:40 PM']I have a large holdall for carrying cables and the like to gigs. It got wee'd on by one of our cats.[/quote]

One of our cats is kind of bulimic - he wolfs his food down which upsets his stomach and then he throws it all back up. While you're on your hands and knees trying to clean it up, he's usually whingeing for the next course. We have to feed him half a packet at a time to stop him overeating - but it means he's always asking for food!

He once climbed up on top of my Ashdown rig (I have no covers) and barfed on the top edge so it then slid over the side. It took ages to get the furry coating on the amp clean.

Good job he's got one of those "I'm innocent" type faces. You can't dislike him for long......