Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ibanez GSR180

Absolute Beginner

Reportedly, and also IME, this is the only GSR that one has to check for build flaws.
I'm sure it's a good bass for the money if the neck is well-mounted and the strings really are symmetrically spread over the fretboard above where the neck is in the neck pocket (sorry for not knowing the English expressions here) - something they were not on the one I checked.

In the same price bracket, you could still find a Yamaha RBX170 - a model that reportedly is always very well built.

Good luck!

Nope the GSR has a wider neck width at the nut than the viola. But there is much more to it than the absolute width of the neck, there is the depth and the shape as well as many other factors. Almost certainly you won't find it is the most significant factor.

The ONLY way you can find out what will be comfortable for you is by picking it up and playing it, regardless to what the stats say. My Ibanez prestige has a really thin neck and it is comfortable to play. The SR500 has a much wider neck and is comfortable to play. The Jazz bass fretless is comfortable to play, is probably between the two but deeper.

Get to a shop and try one some things out.