Why become a member? ×

1 July Gigs in England

wulf

I know feelings on the 1 July ban of smoking in enclosed public places in England are divided on this board. Personally I am looking forward to it and hope that, as experiences from other parts of the UK suggest, it will simply mean the end of forced passive smoking and coming home smelling like an ash-tray rather than the collapse of the live music scene.

Who is going to be out there, testing the waters on 1 July? I'm gigging with [url="http://www.myspace.com/theadrianastorquintet"]The Adrian Astor Quintet[/url] at The Constitution in Camden (jazz). What about others?

Wulf

[quote name='Sibob' post='24333' date='Jun 28 2007, 11:08 AM']No gigs on the 1st, but I've got 2 on the 30th (see listing in below post :-D)[/quote]
From your avatar, it looks like your bass is pretty smokin' anyway, so you'll need to get that fixed :)

Wulf

My band has a gig on the 7th at a local British Legion club.

We have been told by an agent that a lot of pubs and clubs are planning to start hiring bands following the smoking band as a draw (excuse the pun) to customers that might be putting off going out now.

It is down to all of us to make sure that decision is validated, by getting friends and family along to fill these places. I can't wait for the ban as smoke makes me feel quite ill, not to mention the stinky clothes issue.

Edited by Tengu

We have a gig at the Brass Monkey in Teignmouth on the 1st. They've had a refurb to coincide with the ban "We're gonna paint over the nicotine stains".

To honour the occasion our first number is going to be 'Cigarettes and Alcohol' - really.

How did your 1 July gigs go? Mine was great fun, although the sax player got held up in traffic and missed the first hour of the performance entirely!

I'm told by the friends I took that someone did light up inside at one point but I must have been concentrating too hard on the music as I didn't notice. I certainly didn't come out reeking of stale smoke, so I am very happy with the new regime.

Wulf

i played on saturday night in a pub that had been no smoking for ages and actually, i don't think i even noticed - apart from not coming home smelling like an ashtray.

we played 3 half hour sets and in between people went to the bar, went out for a fag, etc and came back in when we came on
it was great