Why become a member? ×

help - amp tech needed in oxon/northants/bucks area

mrtcat

Hi all, my hartke kilo has lost output power. Turned it on at rehearsal and nothing. There's input signal as the compressor light comes on if I play my bass firmly.
It's less than a yr old and under warranty but I have a wedding gig on Saturday and so haven't time to send it off.
Does anyone know a good amp tech in my area? I live just outside Towcester in Northants.

I don't know anyone round there, but there are a couple of things you could try:

Replace your speaker lead - Hartke amps do a 'self test' on startup and if there's anything wrong with your lead, it won't provide an output.

Try connecting the Send and Return sockets together with a spare guitar lead - if there's a bad joint on either of those two sockets you won't get an output.

If you're feeling adventurous, take the top cover off and check the fuses (unplug the amp first of course :)).
It's not unusual for there to be a fuse for the pre-amp section and a separate one for the output section.

HTH

I reckon you've more chance asking if a member here can lend you an amp for your gig, and just getting the thing fixed under warranty. Plus if you let someone on it, it might void the warranty you have.

Post up a thread titled 'Head Needed On Saturday Night. Oxon, Northants, Bucks' and watch the offers roll in, while yours is at the menders. :)

thanks for your help guys it's much appreciated. Having now had time to think about it and having spoken to Andertons (retailer it came from) I think I'm going to send it back for repair under warranty. In the meantime I have a spare PA amp and will try to pick up a cheap di pedal like the one behringer do which is a poor mans sansamp.

Should see me through and mean I have a backup plan for future if amp ever dies again. I'm gutted though as I have now lost my confidence in the Hartke head and I love the sounds it makes.

Andertons BTW were very helpful.