Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Warwick Alien with Lakewood pickup and Wal Pro 1

JamieSteve

Hi All l was hoping someone could help me. I have 2 basses that l'm looking to sell but l'm not sure as to their value or where the best place to sell them would be.
[list]
[*]The first is a 1998 Warwick Alien acoustic bass with Lakewood pickups. Its one of only 101 made and is extremely rare. Its is good condition although has a couple of scrathes on the body
[*]The second is a 1979 Wal Pro 1 bass. As far as l can tell it's somewhat collectible. Its condition is ok although the body has some wear and tair with some corrosion on the plate screws. Plays very well.
[/list]

If anyone can help me with an idea as to the value of each l'd really appreciate it!

[quote name='JamieSteve' timestamp='1390308169' post='2343774']
Hi All l was hoping someone could help me. I have 2 basses that l'm looking to sell but l'm not sure as to their value or where the best place to sell them would be.[list]
[*]The first is a 1998 Warwick Alien acoustic bass with Lakewood pickups. Its one of only 101 made and is extremely rare. Its is good condition although has a couple of scrathes on the body
[*]The second is a 1979 Wal Pro 1 bass. As far as l can tell it's somewhat collectible. Its condition is ok although the body has some wear and tair with some corrosion on the plate screws. Plays very well.
[/list]
If anyone can help me with an idea as to the value of each l'd really appreciate it!
[/quote]
You seem to know a good deal about them so i'd just do an internet search. It couldn't really be much easier and there are plenty of auction sites and music forums out there to sell them on.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='mikeswals' timestamp='1392092437' post='2364559']
The Wal is wearing a later Custom series neck, and later bridge; circa 81/82 ones judging by the hardware. Any idea why?
[/quote]

Without wishing to second guess the O.P , I know that a lot of these early basses had some pretty severe problems with the stability and durability of the neck construction.

Pete and Wal were on a bit of a learning curve when it came to building basses, and it took them a while to find the perfect combination of materials and laminates for the neck . I seem to remember they experimented with cherry laminates, alongside the usual maple, and also graphite reinforcement strips in the late 1970's, before settling on the maple/ hornbeam/ mukalungu combination that served them so well after that. I think that quite a few basses from the early paddle headstock era developed problems with warping ect , and if they ended up back at Wycombe then more often than not they opted to put a new neck on the bass , rather than mess about trying to remedy the old one.

They usually gave a new neck free of charge in such cases , and I have seen several basses of a similar vintage to this one ( like the one Nick Beggs played back in the day with Kajagoogoo, for example) that have subsequently had newer necks put on them. Pete was passionate about the basses they made being out in the World a being used to make music with, whether it was on a big hit record or being played in a covers band playing at the local pub, he wanted to keep all the instruments out on the road and giving proper service to someone , so to speak. I wouldn't be surprised if this bass has been the grateful recipient of a replacement neck.

The bridges were always prone to developing a slightly annoying rattle that was notoriously difficult to isolate and fix, so maybe that is why they opted for a replacement bridge. Both of these are pure supposition on my part, of course, and hopefully the O.P can weigh in with the true facts. Nice bass, anyhow.

Edited by Dingus