Why become a member? ×

The Stratpack concert on Sky Arts

squire5

Just watched Pino play his little heart out for nigh on 2 and a half hours.What a bassist!He handled all that was thrown at him with ease.I just thought that his wee head was going to fall off a coupla times.Good concert tho'.At the end I counted 19 Strats all going at once.Only one man missing.Mr Clapton.
And so to bed...............

He's the one pro player I'm genuinely jealous of, seems to turn his hand to anything and still come out smelling of roses. Love the old cheesy fretless stuff with Gary Numan and Paul Young, love the thumpy deep stuff with De La Soul and D'Angelo, don't particular like John Mayer's music but - oh look - there's Pino again and suddenly he's coming over all John Paul Jones.

Most natural player I've ever heard I think.

Yeah.. I've got that on DVD.

Pino is a star. It's wierd though... he seems to be using Epi stuff, but his surrounded it with Ashdown cabs. What's all that about?

The whole DVD is perculiar. Some of it is great, but sometimes it's a low-budget shambolic mess.

What's Cullum and Winehouse doing there? The bit where Paul Rodgers is reading lyrics from a sheet of paper taped to the stage is hilarious. Mike Rutherford is given a big centre-stage billing, and does.. bugger all.

The all-star thing at the end ends far too early (poor Dave Gilmour didn't get a turn to do a solo on the last tune) - probably 'cos Ronnie Wood directs it, so it can only be a comedic disaster.

Some lassie called Theresa Andersson is on it too. Hear of her? No. Neither have I. However, se's BEAUTIFUL, as is her bass player, Annie Clements:

You can get the DVD for a fiver or so. It's worth it for a laugh.

Much as I can't be bothered with Winehouse and all the palaver about the "troubled" singer,4 years ago,when this was made,she actually looked quite presentable.Her hair was normal,she didn't have the weird eye makeup that she wears now,and most of all,she looked healthy.What is that you have to do to become "troubled"?You know,like Docherty,and Spears and the rest?

Paul Rodgers has a fine voice,but why does he have to have the audience sing the chorus of every song he does,over and over again,on their own?

Rant over.

Paul Rodgers has a fine voice,but why does he have to have the audience sing the chorus of every song he does,over and over again,on their own?

Couldn't agree more!

Mid you the whole show was an exercise in corporate rock - sponsored by Miller Lite! (I got a beer voucher as a journo, and, driving, wanted a water. They wouldn't exchange it. Turned to the guy behind and said 'Buy me a water, I'll give you a pint!')

Mind you the difference between Miler Lite and water is minimal!