Why become a member? ×

Reverse Travis Bean/Kramer?

hoiho

An aluminium body, with a wooden neck!

I assume it's hollow, given there are screws round the outside of the body, but the description is a bit vague. Also no mention of weight!

Certainly unique, looks pretty, and could be fun, but the price seems a bit of a reach.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Concept-Symetry-Aluminium-Bodied-Bass-prototype-with-Gretsch-neck-and-hardware-/261376136910

Apparently the aluminium body / wooden neck thing is popular with guitarists. A friend of mine who made all-aluminium guitars was advised by a big Guitar magazine journalist to switch to wooden necks to improve sales.

I don't see the point myself. It's the aluminium neck that feels to me like it makes a difference from a normal all-wood construction. Hence all the weird metal things with strings on in my living room.

I wonder if this company could be talked into making a one-off with a metal neck...

There are some people out there, too, who love alumin(i)um double basses. https://www.facebook.com/AluminumBass

And I know some double bassists/luthiers who swear that aluminium screw posts in adjustable bridges give a better sound than the brass that (bass) guitarists are obsessed with.

I have an aluminium body/ wooden neck Tokai Talbo - it's very microphonic & prone to feedback, particularly if you use any effects with it. It also weights a ton, despite being hollow-bodied.

Really not sure about this thing. Design is basically a long-necked guitar - doublecut body, toggle switch, guitar-ish pickup placement. Plus it's an awful lot of money for a hollow screw-together body decked out with cheap Chinese parts, like that nasty scarf-joint neck. I suppose the reversible design is an interesting touch but not really much use for too many people - plus I can see the control layout being awkward, particularly if you play with a pick near the bridge.

Quite like the finish, though. :)

Jon.