Why become a member? ×

Buying Online

davidpike

Hi All,

Apologies if this type of post has been created before - please point me at the original if it has.

I am looking to buy a new bass, and I have very specific requirements. The problem I have is that I have very few shops within easy reach and those that are never seem to have the instrument I want in stock.

Searching on the web, the bass I want is in stock at GAK, Thomann and others. However, I am wary of ordering a bass online that I haven't actually played.

I am a pretty experienced bass owner and feel confident that I can set up any well-built bass to my satisfaction, unless they ship a complete lemon.

Does anyone have any comments, good or bad about ordering a bass online? Just as important, how do these companies react if the bass turns up and it [u][b]is[/b][/u] a lemon?

Cheers

Dave

[quote name='davidpike' timestamp='1389965582' post='2340046']
Hi All,

Apologies if this type of post has been created before - please point me at the original if it has.

I am looking to buy a new bass, and I have very specific requirements. The problem I have is that I have very few shops within easy reach and those that are never seem to have the instrument I want in stock.

Searching on the web, the bass I want is in stock at GAK, Thomann and others. However, I am wary of ordering a bass online that I haven't actually played.

I am a pretty experienced bass owner and feel confident that I can set up any well-built bass to my satisfaction, unless they ship a complete lemon.

Does anyone have any comments, good or bad about ordering a bass online? Just as important, how do these companies react if the bass turns up and it [u][b]is[/b][/u] a lemon?

Cheers

Dave
[/quote]

I returned two sub standard basses which I had bought online to PMT in Birmingham. No quibbles. When the replacement also had issues, I was refunded without problem.

Even if they aren't faulty and you just don't fancy them, firms are obligated to honour the Distance Selling regulations. You might have to pay return postage, but how much would it cost you to travel to the retailer only to find you didn't like it? It doesn't matter, trying stuff at distance costs money whether you do it in person or remotely. Just remember to keep all the packaging until you know you're happy with your purchase.

My lady bought an acoustic from gak for me for my birthday and it was a lemon. Frets were rusty, mucky fretboard, dodgy action, old strings , dings bad finish etc. We complained and they sent another whilst taking the other one away. I'm still very happy with it. (I've bought stuff from them previously and have always been happy)

Returns are usually fine nowadays (though I've only dealt with UK companies).

If your requirements are really specific it would probably be worth the day trip to a shop to try them out (esp if you're spending a large amount) - you don't have to but it means no being rushed or worried. Means you can also haggle for a cash payment price...

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1389965878' post='2340056']
Distant Selling Regs - not happy, return it within a week no problems. Re that though, South Bucks - I`d take a drive/train to GAK and try it out, have a day by the seaside as well plus a good look around the shop.
[/quote]

That would be my take on it. While there's not much of a financial risk buying online from a reputable dealer these days, a half day spent getting 'hands on' is likely to save much time and hassle overall.