Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Which "HOT" Pick ups

Jase

It's time to say goodbye to the stock USA Jazz pickups I've been using for ages and find something with a little more wallop :)

I'd love to here about any pick up mods people have made to their Jazz basses. The only model I have any experience with is the Dimarzio P's, which I thought were great but it's just J pups I'd like to hear about these days :huh:

Jase.

I can sum up what I think the majority of folk will say.

Wizard 84s - UK made fabbo jobs and not silly money

SD Basslines range - notably the quarterpounder

Some folk - me included - like Bartolinis but they can be hard to source.

Lindy Fralin pups have a good rep

There are others , all of which make upgrade pups which make a bigger difference depending on the ones you use at the mo. In your case , the Fender US jobs should be pretty good so don't expect a miracle from the upgrade.

As always , if you can - try things out

I've always been astounded at the enormous volume I get out of the Schallers in my J copy. It is a passive bass which has a hotter output than all my active basses excpet my fretless Groove...

Not as commonly named as a choice PUP but bloody loud!

[quote name='Merton' post='231317' date='Jul 2 2008, 01:51 PM']I've always been astounded at the enormous volume I get out of the Schallers in my J copy. It is a passive bass which has a hotter output than all my active basses excpet my fretless Groove...

Not as commonly named as a choice PUP but bloody loud![/quote]

Are they the Schaller JBX type? Just had a quick look, I like the adjustable pole option, like Dimarzio.

[quote name='Jase' post='231327' date='Jul 2 2008, 01:58 PM']Are they the Schaller JBX type? Just had a quick look, I like the adjustable pole option, like Dimarzio.[/quote]
To be honest, no idea. I bought them in 1997 or so... They don't have adjustable polepieces tho and look more like the JB6 pickups with the chunky polepieces. But they aren't humbuckers. Argh. Maybe I've jsut confused the matter - get Wizards!!

[quote name='Merton' post='231347' date='Jul 2 2008, 02:23 PM']To be honest, no idea. I bought them in 1997 or so... They don't have adjustable polepieces tho and look more like the JB6 pickups with the chunky polepieces. But they aren't humbuckers. Argh. Maybe I've jsut confused the matter - get Wizards!![/quote]
:)

[quote name='Jase' post='231327' date='Jul 2 2008, 01:58 PM']Are they the Schaller JBX type? Just had a quick look, I like the adjustable pole option, like Dimarzio.[/quote]

Schallers are very good.....!

If you dont believe me ask, Kennyrodg who has teh Ibanez I pimped with them..... :)

[quote name='The Burpster' post='231371' date='Jul 2 2008, 02:50 PM']Schallers are very good.....!

If you dont believe me ask, Kennyrodg who has teh Ibanez I pimped with them..... :huh:[/quote]

I have been drawn towards those so far :)

[quote name='Merton' post='231347' date='Jul 2 2008, 02:23 PM']To be honest, no idea. I bought them in 1997 or so... They don't have adjustable polepieces tho and look more like the JB6 pickups with the chunky polepieces. But they aren't humbuckers. Argh. Maybe I've jsut confused the matter - get Wizards!![/quote]

Can you tell me what the micro switch is for?

[quote name='Jase' post='231492' date='Jul 2 2008, 05:28 PM']Can you tell me what the micro switch is for?[/quote]

Jase dont get hung up on the switch idea, the UK ones dont come with a switch, buts its idea was to switch the polarity of the two halves of the pup. Apparently it didnt make much of a difference!

Adj pole pieces are way cool tho', as you can adjust the string balance.... :)

[quote name='The Burpster' post='231532' date='Jul 2 2008, 07:09 PM']Jase dont get hung up on the switch idea, the UK ones dont come with a switch, buts its idea was to switch the polarity of the two halves of the pup. Apparently it didnt make much of a difference!

Adj pole pieces are way cool tho', as you can adjust the string balance.... :)[/quote]

Cheers Burpster, just wondered what it did :huh: It's looking Schaller or Dimarzio because of the pole adjustment.