Why become a member? ×

Need advice on charging for recording session's?

JamesFlashG

HI,

I am doing some recording sessions for a producer in the coming weeks for some tracks he has been asked to compose for the BBC, he has asked me If I can write my own parts to what he currently has down. I am going for a meeting tomorrow with him and some others involved in the project, one of the things to be discussed tomorrow is payment.

I have no idea what I should agree as a reasonable rate having not done this type of work before. Hourly? or just an agreed fee for the recordings I do per track for example? Also if i am composing a bass line rather than playing a previously written part should I expect to have some small percentage of royalties from it as I contributed too composing?

please any help or advice welcome i don't want to be taken advantage off but at the same time want to reasonable lol!

If you're getting paid jobs like this it might be worth getting proper professional advise but my two cents; charge whatever you think your time is worth, I would probably think about a day-rate that you'd be happy with plus expenses but obviously don't take the mick. If all goes well you might get repeat gigs to bring in more money.

In regards to writing & getting a royalty; I wouldn't hold your breath. If you write music whilst being employed/commissioned the copyright will stay with the employer - you are essential being bought-out at the start so worth factoring that in when you're thinking about your price.

With the very occasional paid sessions I do I tend to charge a daily fee of £150.00 - the people I work for tend to be self funding singer/songwriter types so don't usually have huge recording budgets.

I'm also usually pretty safe in the knowledge that whatever I play on isn't going to become some surprise global smash so I'm more than happy with a one-off fee. :)

As somebody else has said, you can probably forget about getting points/royalties. If that's the sort of path you want to go down you'd better join the MU if you're not already a member & get their advice.

You could charge by the hour, session or per song. You could also price yourself out of a job.

I'd be surprised if you get royalties or repeats and the BBC won't be making anyone rich, so he'll probably be telling you what you're going to get.

Edited by chris_b

There are MU session rates per three hour session. Most people charge more than them but they act as a minimum to go by.
Discuss it with the producer. I always say what I want if there is a major production budget, but show willing to compromise with a day rate or track rate if that helps the project get done.
If you are creating the parts you might ask for less cash up front but a small writing credit, as your contribution may well end up as remunerable Intellectual property (IP)
At the very least make sure you are PPL registered, get a registration number and ensure that all the proper BMI release forms have been signed by the artist or producer clearly stating which tracks you have contributed on and to what extent...

Edit
I've done lots of sessions for TV, radio, major label artists and everything down to bedroom projects so feel free to PM if you want a chat I can ping you my mobile number

Edited by jakenewmanbass

[quote name='JamesFlashG' timestamp='1389650232' post='2336655']
HI,

I am doing some recording sessions for a producer in the coming weeks for some tracks he has been asked to compose for the BBC, he has asked me If I can write my own parts to what he currently has down. I am going for a meeting tomorrow with him and some others involved in the project, one of the things to be discussed tomorrow is payment.

I have no idea what I should agree as a reasonable rate having not done this type of work before. Hourly? or just an agreed fee for the recordings I do per track for example? Also if i am composing a bass line rather than playing a previously written part should I expect to have some small percentage of royalties from it as I contributed too composing?

please any help or advice welcome i don't want to be taken advantage off but at the same time want to reasonable lol!
[/quote]

I'm surprised you've not been accused of 'vulgarity' for daring to mention music and money in the same sentence! :D

Edited by mentalextra

hey guys thanks for replies will deffo check out musicians union & look at singing up for PPL especially if i start doing more of this type of work. previously i have only done cash in hand gigs for functions bands and small time theatre, this is my first paid recording session so no idea what to expect. The meeting was moved to later on in the week so got a bit more time to look into it.