Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tuning Pegs for a Short Scale Bass?

silverfoxnik

Hi Folks

Just wondered if anyone has ever replaced the stock tuning pegs on a cheap short scale bass with a better quality set, and if so, what would you recommend?

I have an old Encore short scale P bass that i bought for my son to learn on, but the tuning pegs (enclosed rectangular shape style) don't work well at all and the bass doesn't stay in tune..

With a smaller headstock, I'm assuming that you have to be careful about the size of any potential replacements, which must limit options??

As the bass only cost £35, I don't want to spend too much on it, but I think it's an upgrade that would help a lot. So any suggestions would be welcome..

Thanks for looking as ever!

Nik

I presume by short scale you mean 30"? Using 4 tuner from a set of 6-in-line would be fine for a Burns Sonic because it has a thin neck and the originals were not much larger that guitar tuners. The headstock is also much like the size of a guitar headstock but i'd want much more substantial ones on something like an Encore Short Scale P Bass.
Most tuners used on any Long Scale bass would be fine. All of my three modern short scale bases have normal tuners that are used on long scale basses.

Thanks for the replies chaps..

And yes BetaFunk, it's a 30" scale Encore with a chunky P Bass style neck.

From what you're saying, it'd appear I've got quite a lot of options then.

I quite fancy some traditional Fender style tuners on it I think to keep it as authentic as possible.

I have some here going spare. They are slightly smaller than the full-scale Fender heads. They're from a Squier. They're not perfect, and I don't have the mounting screws, but you can buy them on ebay.

Make me an offer :)

Edited by Grangur