Why become a member? ×

Status bass?

I've a vague recollection that these have come up before. Nothing to do with the Essex company (obviously) but there was a Status brand well before the more famous one.

The pickups are the same as appeared on Fuji Gen basses, but doubtless they weren't the only factory to use them. I don't recall Fuji Gen using those tuners though. Hopefully Jon will be along soon to put me right. :)

Edit: Actually I think the tuners might be the plastic topped ones they used in the early 70's, rather than the rectangular ones I first thought. So maybe it is a Fuji Gen after all.

Edited by Musky

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1389311397' post='2332858']
Hopefully Jon will be along soon to put me right. :)

Edit: Actually I think the tuners might be the plastic topped ones they used in the early 70's, rather than the rectangular ones I first thought. So maybe it is a Fuji Gen after all.
[/quote]

Happy to help! Those tuners are the ones with the cast chrome buttons, which turn up on Japanese basses from pretty much all known brands & manufacturers - although not usually on Fujigen Fender copies, it's true. A lot of hardware on early/mid 70s MIJ stuff appears to be Gotoh, and I have seen a NOS set of these in a Gotoh box.

As for the bass - it's a Status alright, although nothing to do with that nice Mr Green:

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:73542] [sharedmedia=core:attachments:73543]

From a Jedson catalogue which is probably circa 1972.

This might well be a decent JapCrap J if it sells for sensible money.

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1389314922' post='2332890']
Happy to help! Those tuners are the ones with the cast chrome buttons, which turn up on Japanese basses from pretty much all known brands & manufacturers - although not usually on Fujigen Fender copies, it's true. A lot of hardware on early/mid 70s MIJ stuff appears to be Gotoh, and I have seen a NOS set of these in a Gotoh box.

As for the bass - it's a Status alright, although nothing to do with that nice Mr Green:

From a Jedson catalogue which is probably circa 1972.

This might well be a decent JapCrap J if it sells for sensible money.

Jon.
[/quote]
Cheers for chipping in Jon. :) I can't quite make out those tuners though, despite you going to the trouble of cropping the catalogue scan. Are they the same ones that they used on Shergolds, for instance?

Edited by Musky

Actually, looking again, I don't think they are - the keys are a different shape and not "faceted" like this type. Normally you see the Shergold-style and on earlier instruments, the black plastic type, which I'd assume to have been phased out by the early/mid 70s.

I have a vague idea that I've seen a different style of closed-back, cast-key tuners on a few basses. I'll have to have a dig around & see if I can find decent photographic evidence.

You're right about Fujigen using those pickups - they appear on most of their early 70s basses, replaced by more accurate types as the basses became more authentic. Other makers did use them - they even turn up on Korean-made Hondos from time to time - but I'd tend to lean towards Fujigen on a nice looking J copy like this. The pickups were Maxons, actually single-coils with 2 rows of poles, some of them are very high-output - I have one in a Rickenfaker that's around 14k if I remember rightly.

J.