Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass Pickup Cover Weight

Dingus

Does anybody know how much the metal "cowbell" neck pickup cover on a Jazz Bass typically weighs?

I am looking at a bass which would usually have one fitted and I am trying to work our how many ounces ( or grams) the cover would add to the total weight of the bass. I've tried Googling it but I can only find the packed weight.

[quote name='HowieBass' timestamp='1389282141' post='2332330']
This says 1.6 ounces [url="http://www.amazon.com/Fender-Accessories-001-0660-090-Chrome-Vintage/dp/B002HF483G"]http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B002HF483G[/url]
[/quote]I see Amazon also give the size as 8 x 4 x 0.8 inches - now thats what I call a cowbell! :D

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1389289740' post='2332470']
Can I be a bit dim and ask why/]?
[/quote]

I'm looking at a bass that comes with a metal cover over the neck pickup, but the bass has been weighed without the cover in place, so I wanted to know how much difference the cover would make.

That may sound a bit strange, but experience has taught me that small differences can make all the difference to the perceived weight of a bass. A bass that weighs 8 3/4 pounds feels light to me, whereas one that is 9 1/4 pounds feels substantially heavier, despite the difference only being the same weight as slightly less than a third of a loaf of bread. If the cover added three or four ounces, for example, you would probably feel a slight difference in the overall weight of the bass, so I thought I had better investigate further. Some basses can be on the weighty side for reasons other than density of the woods used . Certain pickup designs and electronics packages add a considerable weight to the bass, and if you have both covers on a traditional Jazz Bass that will add more than a 1/4 of a pound to the total.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1389283329' post='2332344']
From my American Vintage Jazz - pick up cover = 41.2 g, bridge cover, (with F) 112.1g, screws = 3g

In english = notalot B)
[/quote]

Thanks for taking the time to do that, I'm grateful to you :) .