Why become a member? ×

Upright pricing help!

dudi8

Do you have any photos? It depends on its condition and of course how good a sound it makes. It probably is not a pedigree instrument, so you won't need the big bucks. Still, try to find out lots about it: any cracks on the top? neck joint sturdy? neck straight? bridge healthy? setup? what kind of blemishes? how does it play? any buzzes or rattles? is there life left in the fingerboard? who are you buying it from? what has been its history in the past 60 years? is the top actually carved? are the seams intact? is the plywood on the back and sides intact? all hardware in working order? how old are the strings? are you likely to be able to play it immediately or would it require an expensive trip to the luthier? Depending on these things it can vary from being worth nothing to upwards of a couple of thousand... in my opinion. Good luck with it.

Edited by Rabbie

+1 on Rabbies advice really lots of variables in the mix that might affect what is a suitable price . You can get some wonderfully sturdy and good sounding instruments from the 1950/1960s and eastern European countries and good luck with it if you decide to go ahead. Some fetch a lot of money such as an East German Rubner hybrid. Are there any labels inside the bass?

Looks like a nice enough bass.

If you can, its always advisable to visit and play the instrument and one thing to check for is whether the bass bar is still intact. You can tell by looking at the top for distortion ( the top invariably sinks under the bridge foot ) . Its an expensive repair and I have walked away from many a ply/ hybrid bass as they are beyond economical repair given the cost of taking the top off, taking the distortion out of the top, carving a new bass bar, often fitting a new bridge, putting the top back on, repairing the varnish, setting the sound post, restringing ..not cheap!

Good luck with it. :)

[quote name='dudi8' timestamp='1389085986' post='2329617']
i will check it, by the way the price he wants is 500 pounds, is it a fair price, if its in great condition?
[/quote]

Close to what i paid for my battered Czech hybrid of about the same age. Turned out to have a great sound after a bit of TLC.

Keep a couple of hundred aside for the luthier, and you might still have a bargain. :)

[quote name='dudi8' timestamp='1389099808' post='2329839']
did anyone ever encountered a hybrid bass, not new, with a fingerboard thats not ebony?
[/quote]

I have a solid wood flat-backed German bass somewhat older than this one, which had a painted pale wood fingerboard when I bought it. I don't know if it might have been original or a cheap repair job at some point in the basses history. The sound improved by a long way when I had a new ebony fingerboard fitted.

I've seen a lot of older bass's (1850's-1950's) that the fingerboards have what i presumed had faded. Maybe another wood apart from ebony but defiantly a lot of brown tinge coming through.

Also i was sold my bass as a hybrid. Turns out it's a fully carved tone monster. So you never know what you'll end up with.
And these Romanian instruments do seem really good from the few others i've come across. Better then one's coming out of the czech republic, china and even some of the cheap german variants.

Edited by fatgoogle

[quote name='dudi8' timestamp='1389271199' post='2332117']
anyone know an online shop where i can order an ebony fingerboard? :)
[/quote]

Gollihur does a very fast, reliable service.

[url="http://www.gollihurmusic.com/product/1245-EBONY_DELUXE_FINGERBOARD_LARGE_FOR_UPRIGHT_BASS_INCLUDES_NUT.html"]http://www.gollihurmusic.com/product/1245-EBONY_DELUXE_FINGERBOARD_LARGE_FOR_UPRIGHT_BASS_INCLUDES_NUT.html[/url]

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1389281137' post='2332306']
Gollihur does a very fast, reliable service.

[url="http://www.gollihurmusic.com/product/1245-EBONY_DELUXE_FINGERBOARD_LARGE_FOR_UPRIGHT_BASS_INCLUDES_NUT.html"]http://www.gollihurm...CLUDES_NUT.html[/url]
[/quote]

have you ever ordered from them? I'm afraid that the neck will break on the way from the states...

[quote name='dudi8' timestamp='1389293951' post='2332553']
have you ever ordered from them? I'm afraid that the neck will break on the way from the states...
[/quote]

Yeah, I've bought an adjustable bridge and on another occasion a pickup. The service was great, better than some I've dealt with much closer to home. Surprisingly fast delivery, too.

You get what you pay for :D

Refitting the fingerboard is unlikely to add any value to your instrument - maybe you just need to get the fingerboard planed if there is any buzzing and then refinished ? There are many many excellent instruments that have brown hardwood fingerboards and unless the FB is damaged beyond repair , personally I would leave it in place!

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1389606357' post='2335922']
You get what you pay for :D

Refitting the fingerboard is unlikely to add any value to your instrument - maybe you just need to get the fingerboard planed if there is any buzzing and then refinished ? There are many many excellent instruments that have brown hardwood fingerboards and unless the FB is damaged beyond repair , personally I would leave it in place!
[/quote]

because i saw one in ebay for 100 euros, and i contacted a local luthier Akos Blazs and he sells one for double the price..
yeah? you think i shouldn't replace? i thought ebony gives a lot better sound...

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1389606721' post='2335930']

I dont think you would notice any difference! ;)
[/quote]

+1 on this.
Ebony is more hard wearing in the long run, but if I were you I'd just get playing and consider a new fingerboard only if and when there is no life left in the one you've got.