Why become a member? ×

SolidGold Fx Beta overdrive pedal

Byo

Hi everyone,

Has any of you tried the new Beta overdrive pedal from Canadian mannufacturer SolidGold Fx?

[url="http://www.solidgoldfx.com/shop/beta"]http://www.solidgoldfx.com/shop/beta[/url]

The demos give you a good example of what the pedal has to offer.

Seems like a good mild overdrive to spice up your basic tone.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Byron.

Edited by Byo

• 1 month later...

I only like the SFT on low gain on the verge of breakup, it sounds too farty and lacking in lows with the gain up. According to reports on TB, this pedal doesn't suffer from the same 'flatulence'. Just waiting for Prymaxe to get them back in stock and I shall place my order!

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got mine. The verdict, comparing it to the first version SFT which is it's nearest competitor:

- The Beta has deeper lows and a slight built in bass boost that you can't dial out. This makes even the G string on my P-Bass thump, which it hasn't done before even with the SFT.
- The Beta can take hot basses without farting out no problem. The SFT needs (IMHO) to be run at 18V to give it a bit more headroom, but the Beta is happy at 9V.
- Running the Beta at 18V doesn't change the volume or tone very much, I thought it did increase the clarity though in the upper mids / treble.
- The Beta still keeps it lows and is useable at high gain settings, where the SFT turns to mush.
- The SFT has a lot more midrange presence, the Beta sounds a bit scooped in comparison.

Overall I think I prefer the SFT, but after playing the Beta again today I'm undecided, it depends on the amp/bass/desired tone which I prefer at any particular moment!

Yeah, picked it up in their 21% off sale last weekend! Only ended up costing me £90 delivered. :D

And Sibob already has first dibs - I was about to sell it to him before changing my mind!

I'm looking out for a Heil PR-40 mic, if/when I get one I shall record some clips.