Why become a member? ×

Happy New Year

Mxyzptlk

Well, I started out with a cheap Japanese Semi-Acoustic Bass, probably in the very late 60's. No sign of a band at the time so I never really put much time into it. I did play a normal guitar and had 4 years of piano lessons as a kid.

I eventually joined a Christian band in the early 70's (which was pretty much a crash course in bass playing) and soon picked up a secondhand Futurama 6 String Bass that someone had "customized". It still had the original pickups and controls. I did eventually upgrade to a Fender Jazz.

The Futurama appears to have a cracked neck last time I checked it (haven't tried it for a good few years).

We did get to release an LP in 1973 (amazing it had a limited rerelease via Korea around 2007) on a Christian label. We were involved with another project in 1974 so the band eventually ceased to exist as such. Some of us (and a few others) got together as a new band towards the end of the 70's. Our first gig was Friar's at Aylesbury. After a severe lack of gigs I left at the end of the 70's and the band folded soon after. We did do a couple of studio sessions which resulted in 8 tracks.

We did a reunion session in a local village hall in 2007 which resulted in 8 tracks (out of the 9 we recorded). This is my favourite track...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGRS1LJKApw

Other than that I have only played in a Church Music Group for the last 25 years (or more?). Along the way I picked up a Yamaha BB400S (Lined) Fretless. For the past 17 years or so I have been playing a Yamaha TRB6P. I have occasionally played for a friend in his Jazz Band, though not particularly my scene as such.

Rather tempted to get one of those Squier Bass VI's to play with, but not sure of how much would need to be done to it to make it worth playing (I read the thread here).