Why become a member? ×

Is this a stupid idea?

JPJ

I recently acquired an SWR Goliath Senior 6x10 cab with the intention of using this as a single cab solution for most of my gigs. Now this cab is pretty perfect save for the weight and this has got me thinking.

A while back, I had two drivers go in a Goliath II 4x10 so I replaced all four with Eminence Deltalite II's giving a nominal 1000w of handling at 8 ohms. The big advantage of the change was the weight saving which is quite dramatic when compared to my other Goliath III.

So I started to think about replacing the speakers in the Senior with neo-based alternatives and ran into a bit of a problem in that I can't find any manufacturer who offer a 6 ohm version (needed to wire for nominal 4 ohm total load). So, engaging a bit of lateral thinking, would having four Deltalite 8ohm 250w speakers wired series/parallel for a total of 8 ohms/1000w nominal, in parallel with a pair of say Deltalite LF 16ohm 500w wired in series (total 8ohms 1000w) work? My schoolboy physics/maths says that'll give a combined 4ohm 2000w, am I right?

It's probably just a mad idea, but I'd like to have a plan in case one of the stock PAS drivers gives up the ghost in the Senior as with what's happening at SWR at the moment, I'm unlikely to be able to source direct replacements.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1388266660' post='2320288']
Your right, it's daft. You won't have equal power distribution to all the drivers. With six 8 ohm drivers you can wire them as series pairs for three sets at 16 ohms, parallel wire those sets for a 5.3 ohm total, which most amps will have no issue with.
[/quote]

Thanks Bill, too much time/sherry over the Christmas period always has me trying to solve problems that don't exist :)

Try getting in touch with matamp. They make a neo 610 that is true 8 ohms (I have just sold mine), if they are the light weight alternative then bugger me! I don't think there is such a thing as a lightweight 610. Unfortunately it's te price you have to pay if you want to shake walls with one cab.
I have just replaced it with a gallien krueger 212 and 115 neo cabs, and to me it is more clear and punchy and equally as wall shaking. Plus it fits in my mondeo boot without having to unclip the back seats (whichever taking the baby seat out!)