Why become a member? ×

It's all too much

niceguyhomer

I now realise my 3 year long quest to find the perfect bass for me has been a futile exercise, recent fumblings have forced me to admit I'm just a basstart and will never settle on any one bass. Last week I was drooling over Greene King's collection including an ACG custom, his Modulus Flea, then his Warwick Thumb :) - all basses I'd never really considered before. Then yesterday, I played Smash's G&L Tribute - what a bass for the money, then a really nice Jaguar, an astounding Fender Urge followed by a Status (can't remember the model - the wooden bodied ones that don't look like Statii) and I loved 'em all.

Just had to share that before going on my hols.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='229445' date='Jun 30 2008, 07:51 AM']I now realise my 3 year long quest to find the perfect bass for me has been a futile exercise.

Just had to share that before going on my hols.[/quote]

Has it? If the result of a 3 year quest to find your perfect bass is that you now know you can't - how is that a futile exercise? It's a result in the bigger sense , just not the easy one you may have hoped for to start with.

Plus - you rightly say 'perfect bass FOR ME'. There are many who would have left the last bit off and after many years of playing still think every wrong can be righted by buying that one dream instrument. You've sussed out that ,for your own purposes , that ain't happening.

Fly off to Crete Alan with a big smile on your face and enjoy - when you get back , draw on your experiences and put together an armoury of the 2 or 3 basses you now know will be the right tool kit for you - there's the perfection you seek.

The grass may well be greener. It was hard yesterday in Baildon amongst the Celinders and the Wals et al not to come home with a 'musical semi' on !!
Looking at my own little band in the rack behind me though - happy to report that greener grass doesn't mean better grass. I wouldn't swap. All that quality , but I wouldn't swap. Hope everyone at the bash thought similar.

Whatever you may think you got wrong short term , Alan , you got off your arse and tried and you gained plenty.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='229543' date='Jun 30 2008, 10:48 AM']Cheers fellas - I'll bring you back a bar of rock :)[/quote]
Greek Rock, mmmmm not so sure.
Have a good un Alan and glad you tried a G&L as I reckon they have one of the best pick-up combinations of a production bass. (Notice I sad production... as I reckon Alan C of ACG could improve on it.)
I'm with DD on this one. At least you now know your perfect bass FOR YOU isn't out there.
I did a similar excercise to you, (as ex-guitarists it must be one of those things we have to do...), and was lucky that "Marvin" came my way after only about 6-10 basses. Pretty much my ideal weapon of choice. Anything that can be improved on hopefully will be when I get ACG to build my 60th Birthday present................. to ME.

[quote name='ped' post='229569' date='Jun 30 2008, 11:28 AM']Really happy you love Marvin. I knew it would be a special instrument and it deserves a lifetime spot as someone's #1 bass.[/quote]
It is really funny how things work out and Marvin won't be going anywhere. It IS a very special instrument and you are one of the few who know the full story Chris. Always attracts admiring glances and has stimulated many a conversation at Gigs. Anyone who has had a play has been very impressed.

Know what you mean! I'm in a slightly different situation, in that I've been stuck on Status basses for nearly 20 years, but I do like to try other things as well. Best so far have been my Yamaha TRB-6 II (definitely a keeper until I can afford an Overwater 6-string), Corvette $$ & the Candy Cola USA S1 Jazz I had earlier on in the year.

Quite excited about my forthcoming American Standard Precision, as I've never had a Precision before!

Oh, and have a great holiday, Alan!

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='Paul_C' post='229577' date='Jun 30 2008, 11:36 AM']apart from the one I built for a show ages ago which is being repainted at the moment (pics when complete)[/quote]

Here it is . . .

It was finished with satin and oil before, but I tried a new stain and it proved unstable, so it's now painted :)

Edited by Paul_C

Here is Marvin - I bought her used as a standard Carvin BB75 (Bunny Brunel signature) and the truss rod adjuster broke clean off. I sent it back to Eubassix so he could then send it on to Marleaux Bass Guitars of Germany. They spruced it up with a brand new finish and a completely one off replacement neck, using their unique neck joint system (which had to be heavily modified to accommodate the J pickup) and they left the electronics as is because they sound great.

I have a couple of pics, one before and one after the transformation:
Before:

After:

I am sure Bassbunny will chip in soon, as he now owns the 'Marvin' and loves it!