Why become a member? ×

-

Jus Lukin

[quote] putting a pair of Jensen C12Ks in a Fender style sealed cab to be pushed with even 50watts of Bassman induced power sounds like it could risk over excursion.
[/quote]I had a 65 Bassman with two cabs and still couldn't get a clean low E with any volume. You can get a good vintage tone in a sealed cab with Eminence Alpha 12s, and they have over twice the xmax of C12s. The Beta 12 has plenty of xmax, but doesn't have quite the high mids that the Alpha does. I'd go Alpha if you want more grit, Beta if you want more clean.

Quite honestly I'd just use a bog standard 4x12. I've used Marshall, Hiwatt and Sound City examples and never yet blown a speaker, although it does depend on how much bass you're expecting.

I've noticed that the Alpha 12 has a recommended volume of 17 - 22.7 liters for sealed cabs, but even a guitar 412 would have a volume about 50% over this. Anyone know what the effects of this would be?

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1387568987' post='2313569']
Ok, cool, thanks Bill. So could I put words in your mouth to suggest that the Alpha 12s would sound much like a Fender speaker, but with better spec?[/quote]+1, the midrange response is quite similar, but with a lower Fs and 2.4mm versus 1mm xmax the lows are what we wished we could have had from Jensens. The only way I was ever able to get a clean low E back then was after I went from two Fender 2x12 cabs to a pair of 4x12 Kustom column speakers, that would have been 1968.

[quote]Also, do you think the same might apply to a Marshall, for that snarling grit they put out
[/quote]Safe bet.

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1387889166' post='2316882']
For recording a cranked amp sound at reasonable levels I like the idea of a small, low sensitivity cab for micing up. Would something like the Legend BP102, with 200W handling, Xmax of 10mm, and a sensitivity of 91.82db be a good idea in a sealed 1x10?
[/quote]No, because cranked amp sound is mainly a product of a low xmax driver, not low sensitivity. That's why guitar drivers typically run 1mm xmax.

• 1 year later...

It looks like the Betas should work in that volume (I guess it's around 45l per driver, depending on how far the baffle is recessed and how thick the wood is). It won't be a low-end monster, but I've had cabs with a similar shaped low-end response and been perfectly happy with them. I don't know how good the cab construction is - you may find you need to add a brace or two to make a decent bass cab.
I've been looking at the specs of a few inexpensive 12" drivers, as I've been thinking about making a couple of 1x12" cabs later in the year. There are a couple of other drivers which have comparable specs, like the Celestion BL12-200x or the Fane Sovereign 12-200, so those might be worth a look too. Both of those should be a little less upper-mid forward than the Betas going by the frequency response graphs - it depends what you're after really. You could also add tubular ports to the back of the cab but make plugs for them, as it might be interesting to try it both ways.
With that cab I'd be inclined to buy the version with the Celestion Vintage 30s in it for £156, as you should have no problem moving on a pair of unused Vintage 30s on for more than the difference between the two cabs.