Why become a member? ×

vintage Jap crap help

artisan

I have recently aquired a 1970's Ibanez silver series P bass copy with a lovely fretless maple neck.
The body though is very rough & has numerous dents some very deep,also some numpty in the past has painted the body very very badly.
The paint is extremely thick & exhibits just about very blemish you could possibly find,it is sh*te.
Initially i thought of getting the body stripped & refinnished but that would cost more than this old clunker is worth.
So my other thought is to buy a new Fender P body from strings direct & swap everything onto that,so onto my main question.
Does anyone know if the Ibanez neck will fit into a mex P body ?
Cheers

Edited by artisan

Silver series was a bit later (serial number gives you the year, if it hasn't got one it's pre '75) and it's probable proportions were more accurate. However, I wouldn't write off the original body - copy-era Ibbys are pretty collectable & IMO best left original if possible.

How has the body been refinished? If it hasnt been stripped, neat acetone (cheap off Ebay) will quickly remove a lot of shonky refins, and a bit of T-Cut is great for getting a shine back on the thick poly lacquer that's probably underneath.

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1387553647' post='2313323']
Silver series was a bit later (serial number gives you the year, if it hasn't got one it's pre '75) and it's probable proportions were more accurate. However, I wouldn't write off the original body - copy-era Ibbys are pretty collectable & IMO best left original if possible.

How has the body been refinished? If it hasnt been stripped, neat acetone (cheap off Ebay) will quickly remove a lot of shonky refins, and a bit of T-Cut is great for getting a shine back on the thick poly lacquer that's probably underneath.

Jon.
[/quote]
hi Jon.
Many thanks for the info :)
I'm told it is a 1978 but don't know for certain.
It looks like its had a very thick coat of single pack poly sprayed (with a cycle pump) very badly,not sure what is underneath that though but i may just try a little acetone.
Didn't know i could use that so many thanks for that.
The body is quite battered under the paint but i'd rather play it battered than how it is now & it plays very well,it just looks a c*nt.

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1387556699' post='2313356']
....it plays very well,it just looks a c*nt.
[/quote]
:lol: Archetypal spit-coffee-over-keyboard moment!

If the refin's poly, chances are acetone won't do anything, but it might be worth a try. If you have a hot air paint stripper, that might soften the refin so it can be peeled off. Might take the original finish off as well so take it easy if you try that.

The serial number on the neckplate of 1975 & later Ibanezes consists of a letter followed by 6 numbers. The first 2 numbers are the year so yours should be 78 or 79, which were the years the Siver Series was available. The letter refers to the month (A - January, B - February etc) and the remaining number is production number for the month.

Got any pics of the bass?

J.

Cheers John you are a star.
S/N is I783968 so i guess its a March 1978 jobbie :)
I'm just playing on it now it does play nice,it has a Basslines pickup in it so that may help a little.
Having a better look at paint i think it has actually been brush painted ....err yuk.
Looks ok from a few feet away but deffinately a c*unt close up :)
I'll take some photos tomorrow if i get chance.
Cheers