Why become a member? ×

Older model USA Jazz Deluxe's

Sibob

So i just picked up Josh's USA Fender Deluxe, but i wasn't paying attention cos i was excited :-D, whats the layout?
Going from left to right as if the bass was strapped on, is it?:

Volume, Pan, treble (top stack), bass (bottom stack), mid ????

I was a little confused because the mid (if it is that) doesn't have a centre-dent like the other two EQ pots. Its an older Deluxe, from 2003 i think he said, with the single large polepiece pickups (ala stingray)

Cheers
Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='24028' date='Jun 27 2007, 03:26 PM']So i just picked up Josh's USA Fender Deluxe, but i wasn't paying attention cos i was excited :-D, whats the layout?
Going from left to right as if the bass was strapped on, is it?:

Volume, Pan, treble (top stack), bass (bottom stack), mid ????

I was a little confused because the mid (if it is that) doesn't have a centre-dent like the other two EQ pots. Its an older Deluxe, from 2003 i think he said, with the single large polepiece pickups (ala stingray)

Cheers
Si[/quote]

A 2003 model would have the newer Fender Noiseless branded pickups with twin pole pieces and a sculpted heel. So, I reckon that particular model would be 2001 or possibly even earlier.

The control closest to the edge of the body is the mid. It should have a centre-dent, bt perhaps it's not as pronounced as it could be - this can be the case on older basses that have seen a lot of use. If the bass is using the stock Fender preamp then it has a marked effect on the sound of the instrument as it controls an 18db cut/boost of the specific mid frequencies - this seriously ups (or lowers) the output of the bass.

ah ok, thanks, yeah it is quite a pronounced difference, didn't know if that was a preamp characteristic or a dodgy bit of wiring!, its all good though.
Just checked the serial number on the fender site and its dated between 1998 - 1999

Cheers mate

Si

Edited by Sibob

Could be mate, until i get the pot cleaned up and sorted beyond my basic 'Bass Care' skills, i don't think i trust whats coming out the amp completely when i turn it.

Does anyone know of any info from fender or otherwise or t'internet about these older models, an archive or something?

Cheers
Si

Edited by Sibob