Why become a member? ×

difference between stingray and sub

bonnp

hope this is not a dumb question but do subs and stingrays sound the same, similar? is it just the finish and where manfactured. i have not been playing too long but always wanted a stingray but ended up with a lowish priced ibanez which i find ok. do you think getting a fully fledged stingray ( 2 eq) is overkill for someone learning etc? from what i can gather the stingray seems to have a deeper tone than the other musicmans but i am sure someone will put me right.

Basically .... yes.

There is nothing else that sounds and feels as 'ray-ish as a SUB.

Once you get into series/parallel wiring and magnet design then the nuances come out but it is very definitely a great direction to go on your way up to a 'ray.

Edited by Ou7shined

Yes, Ou7shined was talking about the Made in USA SUBs, without a doubt. Those are great basses and any difference between them and a Stingray -other than cosmetics- is insignificant.
The USA SUB line was made in the same factory, with the same electronics. Uglier (for some) finishes, being just a handful of solid colour finishes and rough texture, slab bodies (no forearm or belly contours), the back of teh neck is painted black, and so is the headstock. They were only made between 2003-2006 so if you want one it has to be used, They go for around £350-400, depending on condition, and they're awesome (I own two, and a Stingray. The Stingray is prettier, that's all).

To confuse matters, another company (Sterling by MusicMan, not Ernie Ball Music Man) has been recently making Stingrays and Sterlings under license, and they started a budget line named, unfortunately, SUB, which is currently in production. They have some very tasty looking instruments, and maple fingerboards (USA SUBs were all rosewood), but they do not approach the quality of the original SUB line.

I would recommend finding a used USA SUB, if you want a Stingray without spending too much. Yes, it'll cost a bit more than an Indonesian SUB (SBMM instruments), but you'll really get a true Stingray, both in quality and sound.

[quote name='bonnp' timestamp='1387139050' post='2308634']
thanks thats great info, i will look for a usa sub as quite a few of the others around and thanks foe the info on the sterling as was really confusing
[/quote]

There's two for sale in basschat world - check the for sale section. I would still love one, but just can't afford one until I can liquidate my assets so to speak. Making do with my ray copy with its replica preamp - still sounds really good though.

Edited by Greggo