Why become a member? ×

Ozark Resonator Bass 3516

BetaFunk

I'm sure a few basschatters have owned these Steel Bodied Basses so i'd like to know anyone's opinions who has owned one of these. I don't really want to know opinions on it if you haven't owned one, like 'it's really heavy' (yes i know) and 'it isn't very loud (yes i know that as well) but would really appreciate what you thought of it if you owned one.

I just about qualify here as I owned one as part of my shop inventory when I had one for a couple of years (shop, not bass). It is an absolute cracker - beautifully made, neck was lovely, very nice to play. Never got to hear it being gigged, but the tone unplugged and plugged in was great - the lipstick pickup somehow managed to keep the resonator vibe. It was also a major talking point - everyone will be asking you about it at gigs!

Apart from heavy and loud the other bit that everyone will tell you - they're a nightmare to keep clean!

Finally, I thought they used to be brass bodies, I see they are now as you say, steel, so the current ones may well be a bit lighter.

I owned a reso bass but not an Ozark so hopefully still allowed to comment. Initially it looked great but sounded pretty awful. I strung it with flats which completely transformed the bass tonally, more so than any other bass going from rounds to flats. It really came into its own. I used it live a fair bit bit sadly it was one of the casualties in my divorce a few years ago. Great bass and a more portable alternative to an upright bass on acoustic nights.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1387015727' post='2307394']

I just about qualify here as I owned one as part of my shop inventory when I had one for a couple of years (shop, not bass). It is an absolute cracker - beautifully made, neck was lovely, very nice to play. Never got to hear it being gigged, but the tone unplugged and plugged in was great - the lipstick pickup somehow managed to keep the resonator vibe. It was also a major talking point - everyone will be asking you about it at gigs!

Apart from heavy and loud the other bit that everyone will tell you - they're a nightmare to keep clean!

Finally, I thought they used to be brass bodies, I see they are now as you say, steel, so the current ones may well be a bit lighter.
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. I've wanted one since they came out but at first resisted then they seemed to shoot up in price but i managed to find one a brand new one tucked away in a guitar shop that they must have had for years as the price was the same as when i saw one many years ago.

P.S. I also thought that they were brass bodies (maybe the older ones are) but the Ozark website lists the 3516B as nickel plated steel but the similar looking 3515 guitar range as solid brass which seems strange.

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1387018357' post='2307420']
I owned a reso bass but not an Ozark so hopefully still allowed to comment. Initially it looked great but sounded pretty awful. I strung it with flats which completely transformed the bass tonally, more so than any other bass going from rounds to flats. It really came into its own. I used it live a fair bit bit sadly it was one of the casualties in my divorce a few years ago. Great bass and a more portable alternative to an upright bass on acoustic nights.
[/quote]
Thanks for the tip about flats. Sounds interesting, i will definitely give that a go.