Why become a member? ×

Japanese Fender Precision Output

Rowley Birkin QC

This may be in the wrong forum, so please feel free to move it if so!

I recently bought a Japanese made Fender Precision bass (Circa mid 80's accordng to the serial) from a fellow BC'er. It plays well and, in general, I'm happy with it, however, my issue is that the output from the pickups is, it seems, quite weak.

I noticed it mainly at the last rehearsal when I changed to my BITSA precision fretless for one particular song. The body for the BITSA was en Ebay purchase and was said to be a Squier. Without altering any amp settings, the output from the fretless was much higher than the Jap Fender. They're both passive basses so I can only assume it's the pickups/electrics that are causing the issue. I think I have read somewhere that the Jap Fender electrics were their weak point and wondered if anyone could shed any light on this issue.

As it happens, I have today picked up another bass (I know......I seem to be on a mission at the moment!), a passive Squire 5 String Jazz in "as new" condition. When I plugged this in, it sounded "MASSIVE", with huge output from the pickups.

So, do I change the electrics/pickups on the Jap?

Any help/opinions greatly appreciated.

This might be stating the obvious, so forgive me if you have done this as a matter of course , but have you checked that height of the pickup on the Japanese bass? If it is lower than it should be, the pickup will sound weak.

If the pickup is at the right height then there is a way to measure the output of the pickup in terms of resistance. I think . I don't know how to do it, I'm afraid, but someone on Basschat will, I expect .

I suppose at worst, a new pickup will sort out the problem .

Edited by Dingus

I have read a fair few posts commenting on the electrics in MIJ Fenders being the weak spot. If it`s a player, I`d get them exchanged for the same electrics as in a regular US Precision, with pickup of choice.

Another thing I`ve also read is that as many of the MIJs are made of basswood, as opposed to the regular alder/ash of US/MIM Fenders, this also contributes to a lack of "heft" in the sound. Whether or not it`s true I don`t know. My MIJ has to be made of basswood as it`s so light, yet the only real difference I can tell - in the mix - is it seems a tad more aggressive, which could be lack of the afore-mentioned "heft".

Thanks for the input (no pun intended).

I ordered one of KiOgon's electronics upgrades, who also, as it happened, had some DiMarzio pickups spare which he very kindly offered to post to me to try out.

What a difference the whole combination made. Much cleaner sounds right through the range of lows to highs, a vastly improved sound and has made this bass a definite "keeper" for me now.

Have a great Christmas all.

Electronic do make a huge difference in terms of output. I recently had a J-Retro taken out on my fender jazz and fitted a passive control unit V/B/T setup. I have no output lose when go back to full passive system. The J-Retro do sound different compare to a traditional passive setup but i don't miss the J-Retro at all ..... my bass sound more natural now to my ears and i prefer that.