Why become a member? ×

Paying a the door - your ideas please

NoRhino

I'm an experienced player in an experienced band who have always been paid by the venue or promoter for years and years.

We've decided to hire a small club to try a different approach with PA and sound person provided as part of the hire fee.

Only drawback is that it's [b]our job to set the fee and collect money at the door.[/b] Any ideas on how to do this as the whole band will be performing at the same time and we don't have anyone spare to act as cashier?

All suggestions welcome.

Following on from Woodyratm's comment you'll need to work it as shifts. Cynical me but the second someone you don't know steps in & money can go missing. Different band members can do it when not soundchecking / playing but a series of partners or friends otherwise. If it is done in stages nobody is too put upon. Towards the end of the night you can relax a bit more (i.e. letting people in for cheaper or free) and I'd have someone collecting money at various points in the evening so you can keep tabs on it & not have too big a float. All less of a chore than it probably sounds.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your comments Burrito and Woody. I won't be doing this gig after all because the people at the venue couldn't organise the proverbial party in a brewery. But perhaps that's a whole different Bass Chat topic.

Back to dealing with proper venues and professionals for me.