Why become a member? ×

My first flatwounds sound wrong!

Twincam

Just put my very first flatwounds on and love the feel, also been able to get a better action dialled in. Can also play faster.
But something must be wrong with the E string it sounds just like a untuneful thud. And out of tune. Other strings sound right and have a nice sound to them.
Any thoughts?.

Yup, flats can vary just like rounds, and the downside of them lasting for ever is that you can bugger 'em up by fitting them wrong. They're even more sensitive than rounds to having the non-silk part wrapped around a tuner, they really don't appreciate sharp break angles either at the nut or in many examples of through-body stringing, and you need to watch out for accidentally twisting them when you first put them on.

Try this. Slowly slacken off the E while watching the [i][b]other [/b][/i]end of the string (i.e. the bit that sits in the bridge). If that bit suddenly spins round half a turn or more as the tension comes off, you may find it worthwhile to then slowly tune it back up to pitch and see if the problem still exists.

Ok strings are rotosound rs 77 shortscale. Got them from stringdirect.

Ok I had a go at slakening it off indeed it did turn but still the same unfortunately.

There fitted to an eb0 so I was expecting a very different tone but not an out of tune thud lol. I shall send strings direct an email see what they say