Why become a member? ×

To change or not to change.....

TRBboy

Hey guys, just been thinking about changing my rig this week, and I wanted to get some other opinions.

I've currently got a Markbass CMD102P 2x10" combo and Traveler 151p 1x15" extension cab, which I've had about 6 years or so. It sounds great and I can't fault it in any way, BUT.....

I've got GAS for a compact head and two 1x12" cabs (or a 2x12" if compact enough). The thought of an even more compact rig is appealing, especially because space is limited in some of the venues I play, and just for easier transportation really. I like the fact that I could just use one cab for rehearsals and small gigs too. I know I could just use my combo for this at the moment, but in reality I notice the difference without the 15" there.

As far as a new rig goes, I would want to try to keep the cost down if possible, but I want a decent sound. GB shuttle 6.2 plus two focus 1x12" cabs looks a bargain, but I also like the look of the Aguilar TH500 with maybe a Barefaced Super Twin or something? Open to suggestions really, what do you think? The Hartke Hydrive cabs look good vfm too. I would be looking around 500w I guess.

Would I be mental to let the Markbass go and massively regret it? You know how gas is....

Thanks for your help. :D

Edited by TRBboy

Well if you like your Markbass set-up, why not either get a Little Mark head and two 1x12 cabs, or the set-up I have, the CMD121P combo and the NY121 ext cab. Much smaller/lighter, and still packs a great 500 watt punch. Not cheap, but your current rig on here would nearly fund it.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1385335633' post='2287224']
Well if you like your Markbass set-up, why not either get a Little Mark head and two 1x12 cabs, or the set-up I have, the CMD121P combo and the NY121 ext cab. Much smaller/lighter, and still packs a great 500 watt punch. Not cheap, but your current rig on here would nearly fund it.
[/quote]

Good shout, I hadn't even considered that! :D

Not sure what I'd get for my current rig, I'll have to do some research.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1385335633' post='2287224']
[/quote]

Also Lozz, how do you find this setup? Plenty of guts and bottom end?

Yes it has plenty of oomph. For the band I`m in that has 2 bassists I just use the combo as I`m not holding all the low end. But for the other band (punk covers) I use both and have never lacked any bottom end - I`m a fairly old-school type bassist, not overly fond of top-end, like to keep it solid and this little rig constantly amazes me. Doing Pistols/Clash etc with 2 guitars plenty of solid low-end, in fact I have to keep an eye/ear on it in case I get carried away on the lows.

You're more than welcome to try out my rig if you wish. Very similar solution- LM Tube, 500W version and two Aggie DB112s. The cabs aren't particularly light but the size is ok and they certainly have some heft for a small rig. They do colour the sound but hey. this is a personality led art form!

Thanks for the responses guys! I think I'm torn between a Barefaced Super Twin and head of some sort, or the Markbass CMD121P and NY121P.... The beauty of the Markbass is that i could use just the combo for rehearsals etc, but I can't help feel very drawn to the Barefaced stuff. All that said, after having a measure up tonight, I wouldn't be able to save masses of space, although it would be a bit more compact, but I just don't know whether it would be worth the hassle really.... Why do these things have to be so difficult to decide! :D