Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass Earthing issue?

Mr Fretbuzz

Got a problem with my new Jazz. I've noticed a crackling coming through my amps. It goes if you touch the strings, or my new F bridge cover or the chrome plate under the knobs. If you tap the plate crackles start again. I had a slight shock too pulling out the lead when live.

I'm thinking maybe its some kind of earthing problem ? If so what's the best way of fixing it...?

I'll take it back to the tech on Saturday.

Thanks guys.

Yep, you have a problem with the amp. If you have a voltage across the pots they will crackle quite often, this damages the pots too so good idea not to use it apart from the risk of shocks. Take the amp in with your bass on Saturday along with all the leads you were using.

Had a static problem with my Jazz bass too. Didn't get any real shocks but when i rubbed the scratchplate it would crackle and would all stop when i touched anything metal. More noticable with hi treble settings.
I checked my earthing with a multimeter and bass was perfect. Didn't get this with any other bass active or passive types. Only my jazz. Took scratchplate off and it was ok. Put a layer of tin-foil cut to shape below the scratchplate and earthed it below the control plate metal by just a few millimetres to get a decent earth and problem gone.
I put it down to static.
Its a cheap fix.
I had read about similar issues with Jazz basses somewhere. ??

Dave