Why become a member? ×

protecting edges of bouts

fatback

I'm wondering how you folks protect the edges of your bass from abrasion caused by lying it down on its side.

I've stuck on some felt furniture feet protecting pads, but they're ugly grey things. Since my bass is well battered, I probably shouldn't even bother, but I don't like to see it getting any worse. I dread to think of what it must feel like to damage a quality instrument.

I read somewhere of someone using shaped black piano keys as 'skids'. Sounded good; anyone try that?

I can't imagine that just taking care would be enough. Nor can I see how you could avoid lying the bass down on bad surfaces if you're gigging the usual dives.

Ideas? :)

Edited by fatback

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1384171554' post='2273432']
Get a stand :)
[/quote]

Absolutely no room for a stand on most of the gigs we do. Usually you have to lie the bass down in front of the stage at some point, then squeeze on when the rest of the band are in place.

I've got a stand at home, but even then I find if I want to change the pin length, say, I have to lie the bass down. And that's on stone flags, hence the pads.

Rather than having to shape wooden ones, I made bumpers for my bass out of short lengths of very thick leather strap (the sort of thing used in saddlery) attached with contact adhesive. I realise this might mark the finish on the bass if they are ever removed, but the finish on my bass is a bit of a disaster anyway and I consider it more important to protect the wooden edges. I used a dark brown leather so they're not too obvious looking.

Take 16 inches of heavy duty electric cabling, slit down the side and remove the inner cables, cut into two inch lengths and ease over the exposed edges. They stay on well enough and are easily removable at a later date. If you want them to look a bit less industrial then apply brown paint.

Steve

Wooden bumpers are a permanent add-on.

To get them to stick to the bass the varnish is carefully removed back to wood of the bass and they are scribed to fit the gentle curve of the bouts and refinished. Really thick tanned leather is also used and the thickness all depends on the edge detail. A really cheap alternative is to get some sticky furniture pads http://www.airyear.com/hl31-slipresistant-multifunctional-table-mat-furniture-pads-black-8-pcs-p-63272.html?zenid=1c43c4c9fff9ca42ddfb2b8a4a37595e ...or as KiOgon's suggestion get a stand ( if theres room to lay a bass down on stage then hopefully theres room for a stand! ).

Thanks for the suggestions. Definitely no room for a stand on most of these stages (if you could call them that).

I do use the furniture pads, but the only ones I could get hold of are grey felt, and they're ugly as hell. The cable solution definitely looks worth a try.

:)

I don't lay my bass down by dragging it across tarmac by the peghead - seems to be a reasonable approach.

SRSLY though I get my bass horizontal in my hands and put it down flat, there's no potential for damage. I never leave it unattended lying on the floor, I always prop it up in a corner if I'm going to be away from it, so at least passing numpties can see it.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1384388742' post='2276249']
I don't lay my bass down by dragging it across tarmac by the peghead - seems to be a reasonable approach.

SRSLY though I get my bass horizontal in my hands and put it down flat, there's no potential for damage. I never leave it unattended lying on the floor, I always prop it up in a corner if I'm going to be away from it, so at least passing numpties can see it.
[/quote]

A fair few of the numpties passing my bass are so drunk they couldn't see it if were luminous green and dancing a can-can. :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1384388742' post='2276249']

[/quote]

Even in the corner a spike will slip if the floor is polished or hard ! On balance personally I would always go with a stand or lay it flat. Basses will always want to go to the ground (loving the irony of 1.12 in this clip !).

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAW2E4MqCLg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAW2E4MqCLg[/url]

I bet he was dying inside! He does a go job of not seeming too bothered though. :-)

I actually bought a bass matt which is the outline of the body from a great guy on talkbass. It rolls up and means I have an option. It tends to live in the car with the bass wheel, spare strings, kettle lead....and spare tyre. All emergencies are covered! ...

[quote name='geoffbassist' timestamp='1384460964' post='2277109']
I bet he was dying inside! He does a go job of not seeming too bothered though. :-)

I actually bought a bass matt which is the outline of the body from a great guy on talkbass. It rolls up and means I have an option. It tends to live in the car with the bass wheel, spare strings, kettle lead....and spare tyre. All emergencies are covered! ...
[/quote]

...my missus often says that my ideal car is a white van!

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1384551457' post='2278207']
As far as mats are concerned, yoga mats rule! Dirt cheap (under a fiver) non slip both sides, bright colours so idjits can see them and roll up easily for storage.

Steve
[/quote]

I like this idea. Would relax the bass nicely, too. :)

Edited by fatback