Why become a member? ×

Talk to me about lights and visuals

velvetkevorkian

I'm currently doing research for my [url="http://interaction.dundee.ac.uk/"]Digital Interaction Design[/url] final honours project, and I'm interested in visuals for music, and how bands and performers might be able to control visuals more expressively. I'm interested in hearing from people playing at all levels to find out how they use or don't use visuals in their performance.

I'd like to know[list]
[*]What system do you currently use for visuals? (e.g. automated lights, premade projections, a dedicated lighting person, etc?
[*]What do you like about that setup? What don't you like?
[*]Is there something stopping you from using live visuals? Would you like to have them if you could?
[*]Anything else about music visuals that you want to add.
[/list]
You can post any responses or questions here, PM me, or you can email [email protected] if you prefer. This isn't a commercial project, and responses won't be published without your permission.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns and I'll do my best to address them :)
Thanks
Kyle

Good afternoon, Kyle...

A few years ago now I spent a few years doing the lighting for a French ska/rock/punk band (Kiemsa, now defunct...). I quickly learned that, in order to give a regular performance, one either had to master each and every lighting console in circulation, or bring one's own. My solution was to use software on a laptop, with a usb/dmx converter. This gave me the same interface at each show, so as to better synchronise fx with the gyrations of the players. There was always 45 minutes or so to spend on adapting channel n°s, or modify colour settings, but it worked very well.
Visuals are not, however, only lighting. The backdrop is important in many situations, and our 'tour de force' at the time was a series of over-life-size silhouettes which we placed behind the backline. These represented each player, and had the eyes cut out, replaced by tracing paper. When backlit, in an otherwise dark stage, they could be very menacing; the ultimate effect was afforded if we could get Pro400's behind, and change eye colour, or 'strobe' them. You can see some of the notion in the pics below; unfortunately I have no decent video of this effect (we were poor at the time; we still are..! :lol: ).
[attachment=147201:Tennie_3.jpg] [attachment=147202:Tennie_4.jpg] [attachment=147203:Tennie_6.jpg]

[attachment=147204:Tennie_8.jpg] [attachment=147205:Tennie_9.jpg] [attachment=147206:Tennie_10.jpg]

One should really separate the notions of lighting designed to light something (ie: to see it...), and lighting for it's own sake as an effect (laser beams, gobos...). My reference points were taken from the style used for dance (lots of 'side' lights...) and were (for economic reasons...) a constant attempt to do both at once, using the lit-up surface as an effect (lighting from below, or from alternately one side then the other...). I would very seldom use 'standard' face-on lighting, as for TV work, or a 'normal' theatre play, which makes photography or video particularly difficult on a low (zero..!) budget. The effect is, however, very efficient for the 'live' observer.
One should not, in these circumstances, underestimate the necessity of having a diffusive atmosphere (ie: smoke, or haze...) in these situations. It's very frustrating when it's not available, and makes everyone look like the idiot they really are, prancing about like that..! :lol:
Hope this helps; good luck with the project.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With advances in DMX and LED technologies it's possible to light a pub/small club gig with four LED panels and a few colour changers. Gone are the days of baking under PAR lamps...thankfully!!! I use a pair of DMX LED panels either side of the stage for washes/fill and 3 colour changers behind the kit in a fan pattern - small, portable and all runs from a PC running free software. Each panel supposedly offers an 'unlimited' palette using RGB mixing but in reality there are a dozen or so usable variations but this is sufficient.

Edited by DaytonaRik