Why become a member? ×

Where can i buy a DiMarzio DP123L Model J (bridge pup)?

dave_bass5

Thanks for the replies.
As far as i can see Thomanns (normally my first port of call) only seem to have the set rather than the singe pup.

Ive not inquired anywhere yet though, I've just been looking at websites. I hadn't thought about getting it direct, ill look in to that.

Ive never used one of these pups but by all accounts its pretty special, and im sure will be a good match for a slightly higher output P pup going in the bass.

I will always recommend this over a lot of other stuff out there (unless you want to spend silly money) but as an alternative due to ease of getting a hold of them, the SD hot stack or quarter pounder J are good to blend against a P, along with the Delano J single coil with the fat musicman style pole pieces.

Although first of all I would spend some serious time adjusting pickup height etc to balance it, a long with probably not using both pickups on 100% volume.

IMO, the Dimarzio Ultrajazz (DP148) is a better match in a PJ, due to it's higher output and more bottom end than the model J (much better to balance with the P) . Its a Great noiseless-J pickup in it's own right IMO. I also happen to have one black bridge position ULtrajazz for sale at the moment too ! (see Access. & misc items for sale). If I wasn't completely into EMG's at the moment it's the Ultrajazz I would use in a passive PJ setup.

Thanks for the replies.
I didnt get any notification about them so missed out on the one for sale, shame as i would have taken it.
I think i will go for the Ultra jazz, they do indeed seem to be a lot easier to get hold of as a single, although i will look in to the other suggestions as well.

Its not that there is anything wrong with the stock one, but i know when i put the Fralin in, which is a bit louder than the stock one, im worried the bridge pup might get drowned out a bit. I do want to use both pups on occasionally, i like the PJ tone and that was a reason for buying a PJ.
I understand the slight tone drop when both are on 100%, but id hate for the bridge pup to get lost.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Ant' timestamp='1383165429' post='2261150']
[indent=1]i have one somewhere without its original plastic covers (which i pinched for my wizard pickups because it was cream)[/indent]

[indent=1]let me see if i can find it[/indent]
[/quote]

Thanks for that, please let me know if you do find it and ill have it off you. As the email notification system seems to be down for some at the moment just drop me a PM if you have any luck.

Cheers.

• 2 months later...

Bringing this back to life as im still looking for something to go in the bridge position.
Ive been using a Fender Super 55 and although it is noiseless, and balances very well with my Fralin, its just not quite the tone im after. not quite burpy enough.

Im probably going to get the new GBZ EMGPJ set in a few months when they are available but id like to try another split coil jazz pup before then.
I am even thinking of going back to the stock VM Jazz pup if i get really bored over the next month or so.