Why become a member? ×

Thick neck, Thin neck?

raindog

Hi Jeff,

Welcome to the wonderful and eclectic world of BassChat! The only thing to bare in mind about a neck is if it's comfy. Personally I hate thin necks, it feels too cramped and too much like a guitar neck to me. The only way to find out which bass is for you is to go and try it, try and play your choices through the same amp using the same settings, which should be flat, all knobs pointing upwards, apart from master volume and gain!

As for actual basses, if I were you, I'd look at any P Bass that you can afford, I'd also look at a Jazz bass as well as the others that people have suggested! Keep an eye on the for sale section on here as you can occasionally grab a bargain :)

Good luck with your shopping, let us know what you get :)

James

Hi ezbass, now THERE'S a thought..... :-) I might have to go the opposite way and get a TWO string Bass :P

Thanks, James :-) Lots of good advice from people on here! I'm looking forward to trying some of the suggestions out. Lots of votes for the P Bass and similar.
I'll be sure to put up a reply on here revealing the final choice. Probably won't be till after Christmas as I won't be able to afford it till then :-)

[quote name='raindog' timestamp='1382435224' post='2252021']
I'm in Bournemouth, Geoff, thanks for the offer, though! The good thing is that Bournemouth seems to have more than it's fair share of Music shops.
Interesting, Rhys! It just goes to show that whatever feels comfortable is the important thing, and logic plays no part in it. My gut feeling is that a thinner neck will suit me, but my brain says that my frying pan hands would suit a big neck. I shall have to suck it and see!
[/quote]

Guitar Mania in Poole have a good selection of Ibanez basses which generally have very skinny necks, and Absolute Music is pretty good too. Just go to as many places as you can get to and try as many as you can.

If it helps, I have pretty big hands too, and my go to bass has a very skinny neck. I've got a precision too, which is also pretty comfortable, but I prefer the skinny neck. I wouldn't be concerned about hand size, just go and try a few that take your fancy and pick the most comfortable one.

Good Luck,

Tom

The slimmest neck I've had was a SR700. An absolutely fabulous instrument, but ultimately I did not get on with the neck - in fact I'd suffer cramp in my left hand at the end of a set. This was the only reason I had to let it go. Next came a Jazz which is thicker. My current favourites are my Yamaha BBs and my Vintage V4. All slightly different neck-wise, but all very comfortable for me.

Try some and see what feels best for you, but sometimes it's only after extended playing you get a real feel for the long term comfort.

Cheers

Geoff

Hi Geoff.....From the recommendations so far I'm leaning towards the Yamaha BBs and the Vintage VJ74's.
I suppose the best I can do is get a taste of these basses from trying them in a shop. After that you have to pay your money and take a chance :-)
Looking forward to the search, though. Getting there is half the fun :-)

The discontinued BB414 has a slightly slimmer neck compared to the current BB range, and they pop up on here from time to time - they aren't available new any more (unless you manage to find new old stock somewhere). I have a black one - but the metallic orange one is gorgeous.

However, IMO there is something very rock n roll about a BB424X (the one with the pickguard and metal control plate).

The Vintage VJ74 has a slimmer neck still, and is 38mm wide at the nut. The BBs are 40mm.

Ideally, get to try some out.

Cheers

Geoff

Edited by RandomBass

I don't measure necks, I play them. If I like them I buy the bass (or keep it if I've already bought it!); if I don't like the feel, I pass that instrument by.

The "feel" has [i]something[/i] to do with the neck dimensions, for sure - but it is far from the only consideration. For example, I generally like Fender Jazz basses, but I have played some where I really dislike the neck shape. If the sound is great, I might put up with it but it's more likely that I won't. :rolleyes:

BTW, I have pretty big hands too. I think it is quite common among bass players! ;)

Also, there are many different types of "big hands"!! I have very large, meaty palms - but although my fingers are very thick, they are not particularly long. Compare that to someone like, say, Stanley Clarke - when his fingers must be about seven inches long... :o :D

Horses for courses. :)

Hi Conan! Thanks for the advice :-) I suppose it's impossible to make one Bass that would suit everyone, too many variables in people's body shapes and tastes. I wonder if any Bass company has thought about detachable necks, so you could choose your favourite feeling neck and just bolt it on to a standard body. Then, I suppose, the 'standard body' wouldn't suit everyone either :-)

+ 1 for the BB424x the neck is great, fatter than a jazz but not a baseball bat either. Have you considered an Overwater/Tanglewood Contemporary J ?. That has a similar neck, I have both and the OW shades it IMHO. Both are amazing for the money and a bargain 2nd hand.

[quote name='raindog' timestamp='1382538894' post='2253386']
You've got me measuring my fingers now, Conan! My longest is 3.5 inch, but my maximum stretch from tip of thumb to tip of little finger is 10.5 inch.
No idea what that means, though :P
[/quote]

I feel a dedicated 'How Long Are Your Fingers' thread coming on.... ;)

As others have said above, it doesn't necessarily follow that big hands = thick neck, or small hands = thin neck, for that matter. Actually, I'm not even sure that you need to 'take sides' on the thick vs thin question at all. My MIJ Jazz has a very slim neck profile, and my Stingray has a pretty chunky one, but I love playing both, and don't find either of them any easier or more difficult to play - I just see these differences as part and parcel of the 'personalities' of these two instruments, and I've always enjoyed the challenge of adapting my playing style to suit whatever bass it is I happen to be playing at the time.