Why become a member? ×

Good (cheap) Jazz Bass?

DaveMuadDib

I've always wanted a nice Jazz bass, and while I continue to rue the day that I passed up on that £200 Geddy Lee (IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT!) I'm back on the prowl for something about as affordable, even if it will be less perfect.

I've heard lots of great things about the Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass. I haven't had the chance to try one out just yet, but I should be able to soon. But what would you guys recommend? Are the vintage modifieds as good/better/worse than the standard or affinity series (I have no idea what the difference is!) or is there some other cheap Fender Jazz-style gem out there? Any help would be appreciated!

Depends on "cheap". I have a Nevada jazz that I swear by. Out of 20 basses, it's my favourite. I also have a "Texas" bass, one of those £50 jobbies on ebay, and I hit lucky with that one. My 3rd one is a fretless columbus, but that's not great.

I keep eyeing up the SX ones....

Those Vintage modifieds you speak of. Tried about 3 of them, consistantly good quality, well made, very nice sounding, playing and looking instruments, MUCH MUCH better than squier affinity or standard basses by absolute miles on build quality, materials, sound, everything! I also tried it next to a fender jazz bass 24, and while the jazz bass 24 was a bit more flexible and had a higher output, it was twice the price and i preferred the squier because it still sounded nice and in my opinion, played better/faster in my hands. If you want a cheap jazz around the £200-£250 mark, that's THE bass to go for, and a lot of the people on this forum will wholeheartedly agree with most of the stuff i just said (apart from maybe the jazz bass 24 stuff, that's subjective)

I´ve also the Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass. I´ve bought it as a Backup Bass, but it´s lot more. A really good and well Sounding Bass with nice Build Quality.

Maybe you have to test and try a few ones until you find "your" Bass. But ist´s worth to take a little Time. Anyway a really "Bang for the Buck".

Thanks for the advice, guys. I had a feeling that the Vintage Modified was a very decent choice. Obviously, I'll try a few out before I buy (even some of the cheaper/substandard ones - because who knows?) but I've been leaning towards the VM for a long time, despite not havng properly played on one yet.

[quote name='Dave_MuadDib' post='223335' date='Jun 20 2008, 11:39 PM']I've always wanted a nice Jazz bass, and while I continue to rue the day that I passed up on that £200 Geddy Lee (IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT!) I'm back on the prowl for something about as affordable, even if it will be less perfect.

I've heard lots of great things about the Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass. I haven't had the chance to try one out just yet, but I should be able to soon. But what would you guys recommend? Are the vintage modifieds as good/better/worse than the standard or affinity series (I have no idea what the difference is!) or is there some other cheap Fender Jazz-style gem out there? Any help would be appreciated![/quote]

I have owned 2 Squier Jazzes having just sold one last week. They are ok to play but neither of mine sounded much like a Jazz should.
The one I just sold I modded with a J-Retro John East on it and a high mass bridge. It made the bass come alive and sounded superb but still didn't sound like a Jazz should.....save your pennies for a proper one if its the sound you are after.

Yep, well I went out to the guitar shop, tried one out - the action was a little high, so they went and lowered it for me, and I instantly fell in love and bought it. This thing is excellent, it's got a beautiful growl to it and a dreamlike neck. Thanks for all the advice guys, it was well worth it!

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='thedarxide' post='223343' date='Jun 20 2008, 11:58 PM']Depends on "cheap". I have a Nevada jazz that I swear by. Out of 20 basses, it's my favourite. I also have a "Texas" bass, one of those £50 jobbies on ebay, and I hit lucky with that one. My 3rd one is a fretless columbus, but that's not great.

I keep eyeing up the SX ones....[/quote]I have a "Texas" J-style bass too. It cost about £42.50 + £10 p&p. It arrived with the pickup insides dropped out of their shells, but after fixing that, adjusting the truss rod and the bridge, and replacing the jack socket with something sturdier, I'm very happy with it. I like the range of tone, and it plays well enough. I was worried that the pickups might be low output (saving on copper wire!) but they're fine. The varnish on the neck is uneven in one spot right on the edge of the fretboard where it doesn't actually affect anything. I'm not worried if it gets knocked about a bit at that price, either. In fact, some of these instruments are so cheap that you could afford to smash them up on stage if you were that way inclined!