Why become a member? ×

Upgrading P bass pickup

BassistInTheNorth

Hi all, thanks for all the replies.

Ended up ordering a quarter pounder and had it put in on Thursday. Absolutely delighted with it so far. Nice and thumpy in the low end, great clarity up top. Currently strung with Rotosound heavy gauge flats as well. Tried it at practice yesterday and it sits in the mix a lot better than it did with the stock pup.

I'm more than happy with the sound I'm getting now, though a few months from now I may change my mind and go for something else, so thanks for all of your suggestions!

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1383485795' post='2264890']
What P pickup would give a tonal range from Jamerson woodiness to Entwistle attack and almost distortion?
[/quote]

If you're after that late '60s Entwistle sound (when he was mostly playing Precisions), probably a Fender Original - I recently bought a 62 'RI pickup from this series from The Bass Doc, which I'm hoping will get me a bit closer to the [i]Live at Leeds [/i]sounds. I'd hazard a guess Jamerson and Entwistle would both have been playing '60s Precisions, so the main difference is where they set their tone controls and how often they changed their strings!

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1383486291' post='2264895']
If you're after that late '60s Entwistle sound (when he was mostly playing Precisions), probably a Fender Original - I recently bought a 62 'RI pickup from this series from The Bass Doc, which I'm hoping will get me a bit closer to the [i]Live at Leeds [/i]sounds. I'd hazard a guess Jamerson and Entwistle would both have been playing '60s Precisions, so the main difference is where they set their tone controls and how often they changed their strings!
[/quote]

Ok, will have to check them pick ups out along with most other suggestions in here!