Why become a member? ×

A penny for your thoughts about difficult decisions...

samuelcroberts

Hey guys,

I have a bass related dilemma and I'd love to hear some similar stories or get some seasoned advice... I've owned an 'old' Clover Avenger 5 (one with a solid walnut body as opposed to the walnut top you get nowadays) for a while now and, although I love it dearly and it's been through a lot with me, it doesn't get a play anymore :( *cue violins* All the music I play and write these days calls for fretless and my playing has morphed from loving shiny 5-strings with all mod cons to yearning for a flexible, organic and woody sounding fretless.

I've come close to reaching the sound in my head with a heavily modified Fender P-Bass that I've had a very long time, but my dilemma is this: is it worth keeping the old Clover lying around, seldom used, sitting in a flight case? Should I sell her, swap her and disgrace her? My heart wrenches and I'm caught in several minds. Lord of bass help me with advice and stories!

P.S. Here's some arbitrary photos for your praise and scorn...

[attachment=146035:IMG_0846.jpg][attachment=146034:IMG_0842.jpg][attachment=146033:IMG_0770.jpg]

Haha! Very true...

Clover basses are nice. No idea why they aren't more popular... I suppose it might have something to do with going from being a smallish custom company to a massive, all hands on deck company. I think the older instruments are nicer, despite the new ones being pretty solid. Some of their hardware is kind of ridiculous though. The Clover bridge is unnecessarily complicated and the tuners on my Avenger were absolutely rubbish. Good value, modern sounding instruments though!

I had pretty much the same dilemma a a few years back now when I was toying with the idea of parting company with my trusty old Gibson 1972 SB450L which had been with me since 1974.

I'm pleased to say that the esteemed BassChatters here gathered talked a lot of sense to me which resulted in me keeping it and, I have to say, I have never regretted the decision.

And, as somebody has already said, if you have to "think about" whether to move it on, it is NOT the right decision/

All merely IMHO, naturally! ;)

[quote name='samuelcroberts' timestamp='1381750548' post='2243073']
...the tuners on my Avenger were absolutely rubbish. Good value, modern sounding instruments though!
[/quote]

I think the one I was looking at was an Avenger... I do think Clover basses look pretty unique though, guess that's why I'm drawn to them.

Must stop buying bass stuff though, I need to learn that just because something is nice it doesn't mean I have to buy it :blink:

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1381750629' post='2243074']
Sell the Clover to me for £50 :D
[/quote]

£50??? You're having a laugh. Minimum £60 + postage... ;)

Instinct, I agree. Think I'll hang on to it for a while. At least until I can afford to get something nicer!

Camden, they sound good too! Very modern and versatile. If you want to buy mine, you'll have to beat TRBboy's impressive offer....!!!

[quote name='samuelcroberts' timestamp='1381754601' post='2243138']
Camden, they sound good too! Very modern and versatile. If you want to buy mine, you'll have to beat TRBboy's impressive offer....!!!
[/quote]

£50 and you can keep my penny fee for my thoughts on your original question...

In all seriousness I've no idea how much you would get for it really, they never seem to show up for sale (which is another indicator they are quality instruments).

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1381754862' post='2243144']
£50 and you can keep my penny fee for my thoughts on your original question...

In all seriousness I've no idea how much you would get for it really, they never seem to show up for sale (which is another indicator they are quality instruments).
[/quote]

DEAL! ...;) Haha! Yeah, i really have no idea what it's worth. Was bought new for around £1300, but they don't make the solid walnut body version anymore so I have even less idea of the market value. I've seen a couple of Clover Xperion's and an Argo or 2 for sale occasionally, but not an Avenger...