Why become a member? ×

How to emulate Primus' "Pork Soda" bowed bass sound?

rhythmbug

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1382551836' post='2253602']
It's called 'art' he is expressing himself on his chosen instrument in the manner that gives him (and his many fans) greatest pleasure.

Why climb Everest?
[/quote][quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1382551836' post='2253602']
It's called 'art' he is expressing himself on his chosen instrument in the manner that gives him (and his many fans) greatest pleasure.

Why climb Everest?
[/quote]

I get that. And I'm all for having fun and playing something that others enjoy. (Though I personally was bored by it after 30 seconds). But I don't see the analogy with climbing a mountain. That's a personal accomplishment, not art. And it isn't something you do very often.

I have nothing against the e-bow or climbing a mountain, I'm just thinking in terms of practicality. Like with many effects, they're fun for minute and then the novelty wears off and you realize the band needs a bass player.

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1382584823' post='2253982']
I'm just thinking in terms of practicality. Like with many effects, they're fun for minute and then the novelty wears off and you realize the band needs a bass player.
[/quote]
Maybe you've only ever encountered poor bass players who've used effects poorly for novelty without any playing to back it up but that would be no more of an argument than saying you saw someone with poor tapping technique once so tapping should never be used. And no band "needs" a bass player, there are plenty of examples out there.
Listen to anything recorded by my band, a lot of the songs rely heavily upon my use of effects, then tell me where they're lacking a bass player.

There appears to be a large contingent of unimaginative players on this forum who hide behind what they perceive as rules for the role of bass. I've lost count of the number of times an opinion has been expressed by someone about something which they basically can't do and don't understand; i.e. expanding the tonal possibilities of their chosen instrument whilst still writing good music.

By searching for a particular sound the OP will discover other possibilities with his instrument which will no doubt expand his playing in the future.

(Thanks for the kind comments about my song, I didn't intend to hijack the thread in that way!)

[quote name='rhythmbug' timestamp='1382309830' post='2250579'] Alrighty then, the demo track is done. [url="https://soundcloud.com/loscrujientes/room-3"]https://soundcloud.c...ujientes/room-3[/url] [/quote]

Really enjoyed that! Thanks for sharing :)

[quote name='D-L-B' timestamp='1382614403' post='2254367'] no band "needs" a bass player,[/quote]

Hmmmmm.... I think that depends on genre and who else is in the band. Whilst it is true to say that in some types of music the bass part (if one is required) could be played on keyboards or a guitar with an octaver/pitch shifter, there are other situations where the lack of a bass guitar played by a "proper" bassist (yeah, I know! :rolleyes: ) would leave a bit of a gap (or at least a perceived gap) in that band's sound.

Everything else you say in that wonderful post is pretty much spot-on! B) The "[i]get a P-bass and whack some flats on it, it's all you'll ever need[/i]" camp do become a bit tiresome after a while... <_<

Edited by Conan

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1382534334' post='2253292']
That track's the dogs doodads - if Primus are in a similar vein I'll have to check them out!
[/quote]

Not really, Primus are more funk orientated, check them out if you like experimental (and weird) alternative heavy rock/funk fusion. Claypool is one of the most creative and innovative bassists in the alternative music scene, some of his tones have been stuck in my head for years, I guess this one came through subliminally.

Thanks for the kind words guys, glad you dig the song! I'm not a flashy player though, wouldn't compare my ability to anyone even close to someone like Claypool. One thing we do have in common though, we both started out on drum machines! I'm still stuck on that one though..

[quote name='rhythmbug' timestamp='1382618011' post='2254458']
we both started out on drum machines! I'm still stuck on that one though..
[/quote]

Was that a drum machine on your Soundcloud tracks? :o Wow! I'm impressed. That's a great drum sound! B)

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1382584823' post='2253982']
I get that. And I'm all for having fun and playing something that others enjoy. (Though I personally was bored by it after 30 seconds). But I don't see the analogy with climbing a mountain. That's a personal accomplishment, not art. And it isn't something you do very often.

I have nothing against the e-bow or climbing a mountain, I'm just thinking in terms of practicality. Like with many effects, they're fun for minute and then the novelty wears off and you realize the band needs a bass player.
[/quote]

You dont see playing an instrument like that as an accomplishment?

How many people can emulate what he's doing there? And as I said before you cant do that on a keyboard anyway, you cant bend/portamento a single note in a chord on a keyboard.

Its not about playing bass in a band context at all, this doesnt need a bass player. Its not that sort of performance, it just happens to be played on bass.

As it goes he plays bass in the standard 'approved by yourself' role incredibly well (studied under Jaco, but plays with remarkable restraint as a side man), but that isnt the side of his creativity he's explring when he is doing this, clearly.

If you dont dig it, thats fine, but dont compare what he's doing to a keyboard, its a different thing, you could get close with a keyboard for sure, you could emulate it exactly with a sequencer, but what kind of a challenge is that?

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1382620600' post='2254504']
Was that a drum machine on your Soundcloud tracks? :o Wow! I'm impressed. That's a great drum sound! B)
[/quote]

Yeah, I used Addictive Drums, it's fantastic. It was out of necessity, disastrous experiences with other drummers. I dunno about the rest of the UK but good drummers seem very hard to come by in London, but that's another thread!

[quote name='rhythmbug' timestamp='1382647153' post='2255090']
Yeah, I used Addictive Drums, it's fantastic. It was out of necessity, disastrous experiences with other drummers. I dunno about the rest of the UK but good drummers seem very hard to come by in London, but that's another thread!
[/quote]

I have to apologise.
I have three drummers in my band. One plays drums. Another is one of our three guitarists. The third one is our singer/lead guitarist.
They all play drums in other bands.

:P