Why become a member? ×

Any BCers from Herefordshire?

TRBboy

I grew up in Hereford and still visit often to see friends and family... and to drink cider :D

Beautiful place. A little slow-paced for me nowadays (I live in Manchester) but I love going back there.

Used to gig at The Old Harp and elsewhere in my youth. Usually meet up with mates in the Barrels these days, or in the more remote rural pubs (lock-ins aplenty!).

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1380643702' post='2228370']
I grew up in Hereford and still visit often to see friends and family... and to drink cider :D

Beautiful place. A little slow-paced for me nowadays (I live in Manchester) but I love going back there.

Used to gig at The Old Harp and elsewhere in my youth. Usually meet up with mates in the Barrels these days, or in the more remote rural pubs (lock-ins aplenty!).
[/quote]

Yes, the Barrels is the best pub in town by a long shot!

The Old Harp re-opened as The Herdsman about 8 years ago, and had bands on every weekend. It was really good for a while, until it changed hands again, and now there's no live music there! The Plough on Whitecross Road is about the best live music pub in town now, as well as the Treacle Mine and The Victory. The Jailhouse has loads of varied stuff going on these days, and seems to kind of be the hub of live music in Hereford these days. Played there with Hereford Soul Choir in March and it was a great night!

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1380645015' post='2228385']
I was in Hereford for a wedding on Saturday. I expect to be sober again next Tuesday fortnight

(there's some very nice beer out that way. and wine. and fizz...)
[/quote]

Where was the wedding?

You forgot cider...... :D

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1380656790' post='2228632']
Where was the wedding?

You forgot cider...... :D
[/quote]

St James Church followed by Lyde Hall (apparently they had their late licence altered not long ago, after fights broke out because everyone got so trousered at all-day receptions)

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1380657962' post='2228662']
I'm in Ross. The middle of nowhere to some, an hour away from Bristol, Cardiff and Birmingham to a musician. Just wait for all the replies from people in Watford, Stevenage, Hitchen etc.
[/quote]

:D

Somehow, the entire county is in the middle of nowhere!

Are you in a band?

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1380658134' post='2228665']
St James Church followed by Lyde Hall (apparently they had their late licence altered not long ago, after fights broke out because everyone got so trousered at all-day receptions)
[/quote]

Ah, I'm familiar with both. Lyde Court is a nice venue. Hereford Soul Choir staged a big event there back in June (you can see pics on our Facebook page, link below), and it was a great evening! I believe the issue with the licensing was more to do with the people rather than the booze (allegedly). I think there was a temporary suspension, which was all cleared in the end, but it scared the proprietor into being a bit more cautious.... that's my interpretation of events anyway!

Hope you enjoyed your time here anyway! :D

[quote name='plumbob' timestamp='1380901498' post='2232215']
Were down at the Golden Cross Sutton St Nicholas tonight if your at a loose end !

[b]The Funkatronic Love Commandos[/b]
[/quote]

Ah, sorry man, not gonna be able to get down there tonight! Recognise the band name though, think I saw you on the board at The Plough a while ago when we were playing there. Must try to catch you guys sometime! :D

We're playing at The Bowling Green tmrw night (recently refurbished and re-opened if anyone's around!