Why become a member? ×

How do you maintain your double bass?

SevenSeas

As the title says, would like peoples different opinions on how they keep their basses up to scratch?

I have a plywood bass which was pretty cheap so I haven't been too worried about it, If people have opinions on keeping a fully carved bass up to scratch that would be appreciate? (or more or less what, if anything. Do you do to maintain your basses? (other then taking it to a Luthier)

I just make sure I'm careful and patient when I'm moving it about on gigs, especially outdoors. Otherwise thats it.

Look out for radiators, direct sunlight, leaving it in very hot cars, careful moving through doorways, careful not to have amps leaning against it in the car, careful when using a wheel, fight to get somewhere safe to put it down when you are on gigs.....and never lean your bass against any kind of door.

I would imagine it will the same experience as your current bass, except you are more cautious.

^pretty much all there.

A fully carved bass may very well crack up a bit over the winter, especially if your a student and can't afford heating. It's fine but just leave it to settle and repair in april/may or so.

Be careful of the bridge through doors same as your current bass or even crowds of people.

You could use white spirit but be very careful as can dissolve some varnishes. Much nicer and kinder is [url="http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/261277949591?var=gv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y&lpid=65&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=65&ff19=0"]citrasolv [/url] its a natural degreaser and is risk free.

I give my bass a good wipe down after every playing to remove grease and rosin - little and often works for me. For cleaning the fingerboard you can also use [url="http://www.tesco.com/direct/dunlop-fretboard-65-ultimate-lemon-oil/175-8388.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=175-8388&kpid=175-8388"]lemon oil[/url] which not only cleans and degreases but also leaves you with a nice sheen.

Alcohol is o.k. to clean fingerboard and strings but I prefer lemon oil for the fingerboard. But be very careful to avoid contact in-between alcohol and the instrument's and bow's surface. Especially a shallac based finish can be ruined very quickly. A microfibre cloth is all you need to keep the bass and the bow clean but please get it from a luthier, not from the supermarket next door.